3 - Maze 🪨

Magsimula sa umpisa

"When do the Doors open?" You inquire.

"Half-past five." Minho also takes an apple from the kitchen for his breakfast. 

You sit down with him, using the silence to eat. You finish before him.

You weren't scared of the Maze, just scared of what the Grievers could do. You don't know how they act or what they really look like. You had knives, which you didn't tell anybody yet, but it would be surprising if they haven't noticed them on your belt.

---

After about ten minutes, the Doors opened with a long series of scraping. Minho ran towards the North Door.

"I run through the Eighth Section of the Maze, and that's in the North Door. Stick close to me, yeah?" Minho waits for the door to open fully.

"Okay."

He ran in, and you followed, fueled by curiosity.

You kept close by his side, and it wasn't hard to do so. He was fast, and well-paced, but you kept up. Your stamina was higher than you thought.

There were lots of twists and turns, but no dead ends, as Newt said Minho knew his section well. You tried remembering every turn and which cardinal direction you both were facing every few minutes by the sun.

"We're just gonna go through randomly, see if we notice anything different today. If we're lucky, we might discover a new path." Minho said, his breathing short and light.

You were glad to be wearing a t-shirt and shorts, because it was starting to get hot. The sun was  usually on the side of the direction you and Minho ran in, which gave you sunlight that made your run more uncomfortable. The Gladers wore pants and sleeved shirts which most rolled up to their comfort. Minho has his sleeves rolled up to his mid-biceps and his pants cuffs rolled up to his mid-shins.

You both ran for an hour before walking. 

"Grievers only come out at night. If they came during the day, us Runners would be toast. No one would dare go into the Maze." Minho said, taking a sip of his water. You didn't feel like needing water right now, but you'd drink some if your throat began to get raw from all the breathing.

"Do they come out while you're still in the Maze, in the evening?" You wonder, thinking about having to run back to the Glade, trying not to get lost, while evading a bunch of deadly monsters.

"I don't think so. I haven't come across one, but Runners usually try to get back before six PM. The Doors close at seven. And no one has ever survived in the Maze at night." Minho stops to put his water bottle back in his backpack, and you stop too.

"Do Grievers eat Gladers?" You feel a little sick at the thought. 

"We don't know. Probably." Minho started running again, and you followed.

---

It's been another hour. Nothing exciting happened, only that you and Minho talked a couple times. It was 7:48, and you were almost tired of the constant quick breaths. One corridor in the Maze was longer than the other ones, so you had to put up with running in a straight direction for five minutes.

"Hey, can you like, do a cartwheel or something?" Minho asked after a minute. You were both currently at a walking pace, taking a rest.

"A cartwheel?"

"Yeah, because you should be more flexible than boys... and stuff."

"Probably. I haven't tried. What's the use of a cartwheel?" You knew you could do a backflip, and a front flip, but you haven't tried a cartwheel.