IX

I had never fallen asleep so fast in my life. That night, I didn't fall victim to any nightmares or dreams. I just slept.

I woke up early, as I usually do, and packed my things up neatly.

Another plus of being a child of Hera, I was always good at cleaning. Anything that wasn't neat or organized gave me a headache.

Annabeth and Grover slowly started waking up, but Percy was still out. He had a drool hanging out of his mouth, and he snored very softly.

After Grover and Annabeth had packed their camp, it was time to wake Percy up.

Annabeth walked over and shook him dangerously. His eyes began opening slowly at the movement, "Well," Annabeth said, "the zombie lives." 

"How long was I asleep?"

"Long enough for Annabeth to find junk food." I rolled my eyes.

"It's nutritious!" She playfully yelled and threw a chip at me, "And Grover went exploring. Look, he found a friend." My eyes found the colored poodle on Grover.

Grover said, "No, he's not."

If I wouldn't have known Grover could talk to animals, I would have called CPS. He looked mental talking to the dog.

"Are you...talking to that thing?" Percy asked unsurely.

The poodle growled.

Jeez.

"This thing," Grover warned, "is our ticket west. Be nice to him."

The look on Percy's face was pure confusion, "He can talk to animals." I said.

"Percy, meet Gladiola. Gladiola, Percy."

Percy looked at me still confused. You can't really explain this without anyone thinking it was a joke.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"I'm not saying hello to a pink poodle," Percy said getting up. "Forget it."

"Percy," Annabeth said. "I said hello to the poodle. You say hello to the poodle."

I was trying, silently, to not crack up.

The poodle growled.

I said hello to the poodle.

The poodle had run away from a rich local family, who'd posted a $200 reward for his return. Gladiola didn't really want to go back to his family, but he was willing to if it meant helping Grover.

"How does Gladiola know about the reward?" Percy asked.

"He read the signs," Grover said. "Duh."

"Of course," Percy said. "Silly me."

"So we turn in Gladiola," Annabeth explained in her best strategy voice, "we get money, and we buy tickets to Los Angeles. Simple."

"Sounds like a plan." I said.

"Not another bus," Percy said warily.

"No," We mutually all said.

Annabeth pointed downhill, toward train tracks. "There's an Amtrak station half a mile that way. According to Gladiola, the westbound train leaves at noon."