Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight — Evelinor

Getting to Mortalis by car typically takes at least six hours, but with Draven's driving, I'd estimate we'll get there in four.

After Draven had told Tavian to get the car ready, he had told me to change and meet them outside. I had made my way outside, both Draven and Tavian were already waiting in the car. I had gotten into the backseat where a closed-lid cup of coffee was waiting for me. I had chugged down that coffee and still fallen asleep and when I opened my eyes again, we were turning on to the very familiar road of my neighbourhood.

Draven parks the car outside the apartment complex and shuts off the engine before getting out and opening my door. Stepping out, I gaze at the building before me. A sense of familiarity washes over me, calming my nerves.

I had found this apartment a few years ago and it hadn't taken long to make the place mine. With decades on Mortalis, I learned which places were bad and which were the good and after saving enough money, I was able to get this place.

We walk inside, Draven and Tavian behind me, and walk up the three flights of stairs.

"Fuck, I don't have my key." I realise when we stand outside my door.

Draven pushes me aside and pulls up a key from his pocket. I watch him unlock the door and push it open and the faint smell of my detergent, scented candles and perfumes attack my nostrils.

Home.

I sigh and step inside, pushing the buttons to light up the room. The living room is in the centre of the apartment, with the kitchen and dining area located behind it. The kitchen is quite standard, with a breakfast bar in the middle. The two bedrooms are located in the back on opposites sides, one is my bedroom and the other I used as my office. I walk over to the kitchen, where I see unopened mail on the breakfast bar.

"Where are your journals, Evelinor?" Draven asks, his tone demanding.

I stack the mail on the counter and make my way to one of the rooms, the office, and walk towards the cupboards. I grab two boxes from the top and place them on the table.

After a decade on Mortalis, with nightmares every night, one of my old colleagues had recommended I go see a therapist to talk about stuff. It had taken me some time before I had caved and booked an appointment with a therapist. After a few sessions he had recommended that I start writing journal diaries. I was told to write about my days and also my dreams and nightmares. He said it was a way to analyse the nightmares and to recognise patterns and that it would help navigate how to stop having them.

After a week of writing, I had stopped going to him, but I kept writing, about the nightmares, about my life.

I watch Draven look over the notebooks in the boxes. There are a total of twenty journals in the boxes combined and a vulnerable feeling runs through me when I realise Draven will be reading some of my most vulnerable moments of my life.

"Who'll be reading these?" I ask and Draven's eyes connect with mine.

"Only me," he says and his tone is strong ensuring me that no one else will see my words.

"Okay," I nod.

I open my mouth to thank him but Tavian calls from the kitchen and when we make our way there, I see a man in the entryway, it's my downstairs neighbour, Max.

"Eve," he exclaims, his smile brightening his whole face but when he takes a step towards me, Tavian steps forwards and Max steps back.

"Hey, Max." I wave and look at Draven who is glaring at me. I lower my hand and move away from Draven who is standing a bit too close.