Chapter 7: Whispers of the Past

The cavern echoed with a renewed sense of purpose. Gone was the oppressive silence that followed the battle; it was replaced by the clatter of loose stones and Eliza's determined breaths. Guided by Edward's fading recollection of the inscription, they scoured the cavern walls for any sign of a hidden exit.

Their search proved tedious. The cavern walls were rough and uneven, marred by countless cracks and fissures. Hours ticked by, measured by the aching muscles in their arms and the growing worry etched on Eliza's face.

"Are you sure about this, Edward?" she finally asked, exhaustion evident in her voice.

Edward, wincing as he leaned against the wall for support, nodded with forced confidence. "The inscription… it mentioned specific markings. A crescent moon carved into the stone…"

He trailed off, his gaze sweeping across the endless expanse of the cavern wall. Hope flickered in his eyes, then dimmed with each passing moment.

Suddenly, a flicker of movement in the corner of Eliza's eye caught her attention. She squinted, peering through the gathering dust motes dancing in the dim light filtering through the narrow opening above. There, barely discernible on the rough surface of the wall, was a faint carving.

"Edward!" she called out, her voice filled with excitement. "Look here!"

She pointed towards the carving, a crescent moon etched into the stone, its horns curving upwards. Relief washed over Edward's face, chasing away the shadows of doubt.

"The inscription…" he murmured, his voice filled with renewed energy. "It mentioned touching the crescent moon when Ursa Minor reached its zenith."

He glanced at the sliver of night sky visible through the opening. The constellations seemed to shift ever so slightly, a testament to the relentless passage of time.

"There's not much time," Eliza urged, a sense of urgency creeping into her voice. "The alignment…"

Edward nodded, understanding etched on his face. He limped towards the faint carving, wincing as he put weight on his injured arm. Reaching out, he gently traced the crescent moon with his fingertips.

A low hum resonated through the cavern, barely audible at first, then growing in intensity. The stone wall surrounding the crescent moon began to glow with an ethereal light, revealing intricate carvings that had previously been invisible.

Eliza gasped, her eyes widening in awe. The carvings depicted a swirling vortex, its edges pulsing with an otherworldly energy. It was a doorway, a portal to somewhere unknown.

The hum reached a crescendo, and then, with a grinding groan, a section of the wall directly behind the crescent moon slid inwards, revealing a dark passage beyond. A wave of cool air washed over them, carrying the faint scent of damp earth and forgotten time.

Eliza exchanged a nervous glance with Edward. This was it. Their escape route lay before them, a hidden passage activated by the whispers of the past and the alignment of stars. But what dangers lurked within the darkness beyond?

Taking a deep breath, Edward straightened his shoulders, a newfound determination hardening his features. "Ready?" he asked, his voice filled with a mixture of fear and anticipation.

Eliza nodded, her hand instinctively reaching out to grasp his. "As ready as we'll ever be," she whispered.

Together, they stepped into the darkness, the heavy stone slab sliding shut behind them with a resounding thud. The faint glow from the cavern vanished, leaving them in complete darkness.

A single thought echoed in both their minds – had they escaped one darkness only to find another? The unknown passage swallowed them whole, leaving behind only the faintest echo of their footsteps and the promise of a new adventure, fraught with both peril and hope.