Chapter 2: Echoes in the Ebon Halls

The groan from the massive oak door sent a fresh wave of trepidation surging through Eliza. Then, with a deafening screech of rusty hinges, the door creaked open a sliver. A figure stood shrouded in the darkness beyond, its silhouette gaunt and skeletal.

Eliza's heart pounded in her chest, a drum solo against the relentless rain. "Edward?" she ventured, her voice barely a whisper above the storm's fury.

The figure remained motionless, cloaked in shadow. "Eliza?" It spoke, the voice raspy and unfamiliar, a sound that sent shivers down her spine.

Taking a deep breath, Eliza pushed the sliver of light wider, forcing herself to step inside. The air was thick with dust and the cloying scent of mildew. A single flickering candle sputtered on a dusty side table, casting dancing shadows on the decaying grandeur of the manor's entrance hall. The room was dominated by a magnificent, sweeping staircase, its carved banister a grotesque parody of angels, their faces warped with an ageless terror.

"Edward?" she repeated, her voice echoing eerily in the vast, cavernous space.

The figure stepped forward, revealing a face she barely recognized. It was Edward, yes, but a caricature of the man she loved. His skin was pale, almost translucent, and his eyes, once warm and inviting, now burned with an unnatural light, a flicker of something monstrous lurking behind.

"Eliza," he rasped, reaching out a hand that looked more like a claw, his touch cold and clammy.

A wave of nausea washed over her. This couldn't be Edward. The man she knew wouldn't have summoned her to a dilapidated tomb. Yet, there was a glimmer of his old kindness in his eyes, a flicker of warmth that fought against the encroaching darkness.

"What happened to you?" she whispered, her voice strained, drawing closer despite the trepidation twisting her gut.

He flinched at her touch, pulling his hand away. "Come," he croaked, his voice barely audible over the drumming rain. "There's much to tell you."

He turned away, leading her deeper into the manor. The candlelight barely penetrated the gloom, casting grotesque shadows that danced along the walls. Cobwebs, thick and dusty, hung like ghostly curtains, and the air grew colder with each step. Eliza couldn't ignore the sense of dread that coiled around her like a serpent, a chilling premonition of something terrible lurking in the darkness.

They entered a vast library, shelves upon shelves groan under the weight of leather-bound tomes. A faint, ethereal glow emanated from a dusty globe in the center of the room, casting an eerie luminescence on the portraits lining the walls. Ancestral Blackwood faces stared down at them, their expressions a macabre mixture of arrogance and fear.

Eliza felt a primal urge to flee, to escape the oppressive atmosphere and the secrets that seemed to cling to the very walls. But Edward stood before the globe, his back to her, his posture strangely rigid.

"Eliza," he began, his voice strained. "The darkness… it took hold of me. It promised power, knowledge…" He trailed off, his words replaced by a heavy sigh.

A sudden gust of wind howled through the room, extinguishing the single candle. Darkness consumed them, broken only by the faint, otherworldly glow of the globe. Panic clawed at Eliza's throat.

"Edward?" she called out, her voice trembling into the void.

A faint rustling sound reached her ears, followed by a low, guttural growl that echoed in the chamber. The glow emanating from the globe pulsed with a sinister red light, casting grotesque shadows that writhed on the walls.

The silence that followed was deafening, a pregnant pause that threatened to shatter her sanity. Suddenly, a cold hand clamped onto her shoulder. She whirled around, but the darkness offered no answers.

"Eliza," a voice hissed in her ear, a voice raspy and inhuman, not Edward's. "You shouldn't have come."

Terror, cold and primal, flooded her veins. This wasn't a reunion with her love. It was the beginning of a nightmare.