Nine

SEBASTIAN POV

Dylan was a smarmy, egotistical, fancy City boy faking the country life ass.

He arrived when we were getting the foals ready for groundwork with Daylight.  She was an old pro and the most gentle, though Andy suggested we get Roscoe involved as well.  With Pongo and Perdita the focus was allowing them time to play in the arena while observing the way our older horses act.  Even just standing still when one of us held their lead would build the foundation so they were able to learn how to act around us.

I couldn't tear my eyes from Andy as she jogged with Daylight.  Being away from her was harder than I expected.  Now that I was back I felt like I needed to make up for lost time. Austin offered to show Dylan around and get Roscoe so I kept the foals while Andy rode Daylight for a bit to get some energy out.

When Dylan came outside, he stared at her and I had to stifle a laugh.

I get it. She's pretty and talented. The fact that she keeps wearing shirts that show her toned midriff doesn't hurt. I got used to that when she was injured and was glad to see her confidence grow.  Andy would wrap ice packs around her waist so it was easier than tucking or tying the hem of a longer top. 

There was no way I would have complained.  Horseback riding was good for the core so I had to keep myself from thinking about what else that would mean.

She really did keep her room like a sauna for the kittens.  It was no wonder she barely wore anything during those middle of the night feedings.  I struggled with staying awake even more due to the warmth as well as lack of sleep.  By the time I was at the farm house for a couple days I just wore basketball shorts and knew being outside in the cool air with the baby goats would be a nice break after kitten time.

Andy would open her door to get the bottles from downstairs then I'd use her desk chair, while Austin sat on her bed if he joined us.  Most of the time he stayed focused on Hercules and Megara but the fact that all 3 of us had no issue getting the work done meant a lot.

Pongo was getting antsy as Austin started riding Roscoe so I moved toward Dylan and asked, "Hey, will you take Perdita for a bit so he can stretch his legs more?"

He nodded, "Sure, are they going to get saddles?"

"No, they're not even 4 months old so it's too young for that but they're doing well with basic groundwork. We have been getting them used to being around other horses while they are moving around as well as used to us.  Pongo wants to join in the fun so I'll just jog with him so he can play a bit.  We just need to let them socialize and learn from the older horses in a gentle way."

I kept my voice light and tried to be nice but the guy kept staring at Andy which started to bother me.  Before too long we got the foals walking around the arena as well as allowing them to play a bit.  Once they were ready for a break, Dylan and I got saddles on Lenny and Maverick then met Austin and Andy outside. After switching around so Andy was on Maverick, I had Daylight, and Austin had Roscoe. It was amusing to watch Dylan get onto Lenny's back.

Daylight really was an incredibly well trained horse.  I got a decent amount of time with her, but Andy ran point.  We tried to make sure all of them were handled by each of us.  Austin and I had talked about how we were in awe of how well Andy did with training, especially when either of us were able to get time with Daylight.  She was only 5 but strong, capable, and easy to work with.

It made up for all the stress we had dealing with Maverick.  The stallion was more than a handful but seemed to thrive when given challenge.  He wanted to do a good job.  Maverick wanted the praise he received just as much as he wanted the chance to race through the fields in the middle of the night.