It's getting so late already.

Tomorrows our birthday.

It'll never be the same.

I look down, feeling my phone buzz in my hand. There were two notifications, one from my group chat with dad and Dylan, and one from my news app. My eyes widen reading the stated title, 'Birmingham: Horse Tears Apart Man He's Known His Whole Life'.

Jeez. Gruesome.

I try to make nothing of it until another notification from the same app pops up on my screen, 'India: This Mysterious Tree Has Consumed Four People In It's Roots'.

"What?" My thoughts are voiced as I try to stay calm, watching my screen blow up in notifications.

It's all over the world.

The next notification I get is from the group chat, reading, 'Ruby, where are you? Come home asap.'

It was my brother, he's always been overly worried about what's going on in the news. It's probably nothing, just a coincidence.

As I reach for the handle to the front door of my house, it swings open.

"Oh my god, oh my god you're alive." My brother steps forward giving me a hug, afterwards punching my shoulder.

"Ow?! What was that for?!" Before I can even comprehend why the hell he's being so weird, I am dragged into the house.

"No time. Sit." He points to the couch which is right in front of the tv. The news is on.

I pout, crossing my arms. Anger evident on my face.

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Okay. Im sorry. I was worried." He looks up, almost annoyed. "Now sit." I roll my eyes, not moving from my spot.

He's gonna have to do better than that.

"Please?" He asks, clearly not letting this dramatics act go. He's always been such a theorist.

I let my arms drop, walking over to the couch, and sitting on a very comfy corner cushion. Only then do I realize just how tired I am from being outside for so long.

"Watch." He said pointing a finger from me, to the television.

Trying to keep my eyes open, I concentrate on the woman inside the screen.

"All over the world, people have been reporting that animals have been 'fighting back'." I roll my eyes at this statement.

This isn't news. This has happened through the decades. This is so silly.

I can't help but notice the worry lacing Dylan's face. Maybe I should actually listen to this.

For him.

"Not only that, but vegetation has spread through cities at a rate no one has ever calculated before." My eyes widen at the photos which are placed onto the screen.

That can't be possible.

The photos show buildings in Los Angeles, but the bottom floors are almost entirely covered. Covered by vines and roots.

Is this some sick joke?

Is this real?

As if hearing the voice in my head, the lady continues. "These photos are from a well known photographer from our own news station in Sydney. He traveled miles just to find out the truth."

My mind becomes a scrabbled ball of yarn as I try to reach reality.

This, is reality?

I listen intently, leaning forward to hear the rest of the story.

"Has Mother Nature truly turned her back on us, or is this the start of a new epidemic?" The woman looks down, not reading what was initially in front of her.

She's scared.

I'm scared.

Dylan's scared.

We need to call dad.

I reach for my phone, thinking back to what she had said.

Has Mother Nature turned her back on us?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Oh jeez. That was a lot huh.

Thanks for reading ;)

See ya next time little gems, wish me luck <3