Chapter 7 ~ Smitten Kittens

Bắt đầu từ đầu

We approach the group, and Audrey, a.k.a Duck Lips, pipes up, “Enzo, did you hear Evelyn and Graham just bought a new boat?”

“I didn’t. Good for them.”

“Graham spoils our girl rotten. She deserves it.” 

“Well, I hope Graham had Evelyn sign a prenup so she doesn’t rake him over the coals in their divorce settlement one day,” Enzo says, and Audrey’s grin turns into a flat line.

“It takes two to tango, you know.” She arches a brow.

“Exactly. It takes two people to make a marriage work, but everyone conveniently forgets that Evelyn spent the last ten years of our marriage sleeping with the pool boy, her tennis instructor, and our married neighbor, Graham.”

My eyes widen. 

“Anyway, let's not spoil supper with this conversation.” Enzo winks at the wives then leans in and kisses my temple. “Have fun.”

He squeezes my hand but doesn’t let go right away. Instead, his grip gradually slips from mine until we’re down to the fingertips, and my arm drops to my side. 

The flutters are fluttering.

“Enzo seems smitten,” Jeannie says, and my attention darts to her. “And you are, too.”

“Maybe a little, but I can’t reveal all my cards to him yet.” I sit down. 

“Smart girl.” Jeannie nods. “Always keep them guessing.” She glances down at her giant diamond. “It’s how I’ve kept Carmine wrapped around my finger all these years. Sure, he’s had his mistresses, but I’m the one with the ring, the last name, and who he’ll never leave.”

“Cheers to that!” Audrey raises her glass. “Dominic is glued to my BBL for life.” 

The other wives giggle and raise their glasses with her, so I awkwardly do the same, and we clink them together.

What a strange world these women live in. 

◇◇◇

Although it was fun leaving my friends in suspense all night, I knew I’d have to answer them at some point. So, we’re sitting down for brunch, and I’m getting grilled like the panini sandwich I ordered. Delilah has hardly touched her pancakes as I spill my guts, and Keira keeps gasping with a mouthful of hash browns while Anika scoots around her eggs with pieces of toast like she’s furious.

“Ew, so they’re like, snobby rich housewives.” Keira scrunches her face.

“The nerve of them treating you like a child.” Delilah snaps a picture of her breakfast.

“It is what it is.” I shrug, and Anika releases a deep sigh. 

“I’m with Lydia. I don’t like the idea of some fifty-year-old man paying you for dates.” 

“Well… my sister doesn’t know Enzo is paying me, and I swear to god, you better not tell her or Lucas.” 

“Listen, I won’t, but I still don’t like it.”

“Don’t be such a bore, ‘Nik!” Keira rolls her eyes. “Mara is a grown woman.”

“All I’m saying is, what if, after a few dates, Enzo starts demanding more from her?” 

“Like what?” I ask, and Delilah makes an obscene gesture with her fingers to articulate what Anika means. Keira chuckles.

“Grow up, Del!” Anika exclaims. “I’m serious. What if he’s grooming her? Things are real crazy right now. Dead bodies are popping up across the city. There was a shootout at El Techo Del Lolinda the other night, where a woman was kidnapped, and another was shot trying to save her. The news said it could all be linked to human trafficking. We know nothing about this man. He could be a serial killer.”