In an instant, Rose could smell Mr Bronfell's hope disappear and that was it for the conversation. She heard the dejected patriarch collapse on his chair and listened as Tavarious sauntered over to the fire, his bitter smell melding with soot to tell her such. 

With nothing left for her to discern, to do, Rose started down the corridor, towards the front entrance, to leave, to go back home and wait. But as she flitted past the staircase, she saw the children spying her between the banisters again. 

Rose then abruptly stopped and gave them another smile. This time, they didn't run and she took her opportunity to make a good impression with them. With a flick of her wrist, a tiny piece of parchment flashed between her fingers, making the children gasp in shock and excitement. 

'Quite impressive, yes?' Despite what she had just done and what she was about to do being no mere sleight of hand or illusion, Rose proceeded, 'Would you like to see another magic trick? 

The children gave no response but Rose continued anyway. 

Now resting in the palm of her hand, the paper began to crease and fold all on its own. At first, the crimping was measured but the altering quickened until it was clear a shape had started to form. And before a chime of the mansion's grandfather clock rang in the quarter hour, a bird sprung to life. 

Rose, however, wasn't done with her performance. A wink sent the stamp-sized creature flapping its wings and another sent it soaring into the air. And as the children watched with eyes as wide as plates, the bird flew around and around above their heads. It dived and climbed, dived and climbed until it dived for the last time, perching itself on the staircase's handrail. 

'That was amazing. How did you–' started the boy in a hushed tone before his sister elbowed him to be quiet. The girl then grabbed her brother's hand and the two disappeared again. 

Rose left her creation where it had landed, to remind the children of her, and continued to the mansion's front entrance. She then readied herself to enter back into the cold and grim city, but when she opened the door, a warmth greeted her instead. 

It was Emma. 

Clearly having tried her best to look as smart as possible, her red hair combed, the girl beamed a toothy smile. But her enthusiasm didn't distract from the fading bruise on her face, the consequence of the drugged woman's attack. 

Rose could only admire Emma's spirit. Despite trying to dissuade her from coming for the interview, the girl had shown up. There was no stopping her from her want. 

'Hello, Em–' Forgetting her changed appearance, and who she was pretending to be, Rose stopped herself. 

'Good morning, Miss.' Emma curtseyed. 'I'm here for the interview for the nanny position.' 

'Good morning to you, too, young lady,' Rose replied back. 'And I'm sorry to tell you, dear, but you're too late I'm afraid. Mr Bronfell has finished the interviews. I was the last.' 

Emma scrunched up her face. 'Truly? But it's only just after eight o'clock. How are they finished already?' 

'Mr Bronfell started the interviews at half past six on the dot,' Rose lied. 

'Half past six? Are you sure, Miss?' 

'Quite sure, yes.' 

'But–but I'm sure the classified for the nanny position said the interviews would start at eight o'clock.' 

Rose heard Emma's stomach rumble and she lied again, 'You must have been mistaken. It happens to all of us. And sadly, you also missed out on the allowance Mr Bronfell gave to the interviewees as a thank you for coming on such a cold and dreary morning.' 

Emma frowned at the words before the girl's sullenness grew until she appeared to be on the verge of crying. 'Truly, Miss?' 

'Indeed,' Rose answered, hearing Emma's belly grumble again. 'But I received my allowance, and of which I was just off to go spend on a hot breakfast. If you want to join me, we can share–' 

Emma snapped out of her sorrow and croaked, 'I don't take handouts, Miss.' 

Rose threw up her hands. 'It's not a handout, dear. You earned it by coming here as did every other interviewee that came. You probably walked a fair distance to get here, am I right?' 

'More than fair, Miss. It was the farthest I've ever walked in my life.' 

'Well, there you go. A breakfast is deserved. It is what you're owed for your time and energy. It's only just. In no way shape or form is this me being charitable.' 

Emma soon nodded with comprehension and fortitude before saying, 'I wouldn't want to intrude, Miss.' 

'Intrude? Never. I saw a café a few blocks away. It had such scrumptious wonderful things to eat.' 

Emma nodded again, but this time with another warm toothy smile. 'All right, Miss. I'll join you.' 

'Wonderful. Good to hear.' Rose closed the front door of Mr Bronfell's residence and began walking off. 'Well, come on then.' 

Emma hurriedly took Rose's side and said, 'You know, Miss, you remind me of someone. Another nice person I know.' 

'Is that so?'