18 ; at all ;

MAY 24

;  

   Late at night, his face all lit up in bluish-white, Seungmin finally heard the front door open, followed by some quiet, carefully-placed footsteps— with a pause for the toeing off of shoes before those footsteps headed straight upstairs and down the hall just past Seungmin's room. It prompted him to finally check the time. He then realized that he'd forgotten to go to sleep; soon the sun would erupt from early morning clouds with a peachy watercolor splatter to mark morning, and he'd be left red-eyed.

   See, that evening, or really yesterday evening, rushing outside after Jeongin, he'd caught him by the wrist on Felix's porch and broken out with, "Jeongin, this is ridiculous— how many jobs do you have?"

   Looking back over his shoulder as if he only planned to linger a moment, Jeongin answered, "Only three... Hyung, it's fine." To make it more persuasive, he tacked on: "Besides, I'm not working at all tomorrow."

  Seungmin's grip loosened. He let Jeongin's wrist fall out of it naturally; fiery determination cooling down, his voice lowering.  "At least let me drive you there. You could stay a little longer."

   Big surprise: Jeongin shook his head quickly. "I don't want you to miss out. Seriously, it's okay. Please. Go back in."

   Before Seungmin even got the chance to answer, Jeongin was pulling away, heading down the porch steps.

   And it left Seungmin asking why.

   Why could he never accept the smallest act of service? Why couldn't he just let people do him a favor here and there— what was so hard about it?

   Why. Why. Why isn't this good enough for you? Everything I'm trying to do for you. Why don't you stop desperately kicking and flailing your arms to stay afloat? Why won't you let me be there for you? Why don't you let me take care of you? Haven't I showed you that I can?

Why don't you...

   "It hurts, Jeongin!" he suddenly spat. Unaware of what he was saying, the words went directly, straight to his mouth the second they formed in his mind.

    Jeongin's head snapped back toward him at the sound. And, having firmly grasped his attention for the moment, Seungmin kept plowing through uncharted mental waters aloud. "When you refuse my help it tells me you don't trust me. At all."  He threw his arms limply, exasperatedly, into the air.

   Turning on his heels abruptly, Jeongin insisted, eyes flashing wide open, "No— I— I do!" He raked teeth over his lower lip as if fighting his tongue; fidgeted with his hands. "I... I have to go. But I have the whole day off tomorrow. Don't worry about me. Everything's fine," he insisted. And then he was off, once again, before Seungmin could get in another word.