Chapter 18 - Behind

As the group drives through the streets of Las Almas, you can't help but begin to look around the town through the car window. Once again, admiring the place. 

"White truck, four armed in the back." Soap suddenly said as a white truck passing from your group's vehicle.

His hand tightens around his gun while you subconsciously place your hand on top of his. Rubbing your thumb on the back of his hand to calm him. 

Alejandro is quick to say as he looks back at Soap and gesturing with his hand to calm down. "Hey, tranquilo. Easy—That's normal here." It makes MacTavish narrow his eyes slightly but loosen his grip nonetheless; his hand moves to hold yours instead, and then he looks ahead again.

"Guns on the street are the jurisdiction of the police." The Colonel adds as he looks back ahead on the street. 

In exchange, Ghost turns his gaze from outside the window to looking at the Colonel. "Where are the police?" Soap looks over to Ghost, who suddenly joins in on the conversation.

"Well, Las Almas has a very serious problem." The Latino man, then looking at them from the rearview mirror, "There are few here to uphold the law. And many of those who resist corruption..." Alejandro then looked on the road again while Soap looked back at the man. 

"...disappear." You continue as you look at Alejandro, nodding his head along with your answer. "Correcto."

"What about the military?" You can clearly sense Soap's confusion in his voice, but you let Alejandro take the explanation. 

"Well, because we are well trained, soldiers are recruited by the narcos..."

"Why not you?" Ghost chimed in, which made you look at him to warn him not to push the topic further if both your Mexican friends decided not to talk about the said topic.

Rodolfo quietly glancing at the rearview mirror, but he's quick to avert his gaze to look at his best friend. While Alejandro, like on cue, was also looking at his second in command right after Ghost asked the question. 

"We grew up here." Alejandro's answer made Rudy look ahead on the road again, focussing on driving. "They call us Los Vaqueros..."

"Cowboys?" You turn to look at the Colonel and tilt your head a little. 

"Si, amor." He smiles while he glancing over his shoulder to look at you; you subconsciously return the smile.

"We love this place. And we will die fighting for it." 

And that's why you love the man. You were instantly drawn to him when you first met him. But it's not like you have a romantic feeling towards your friend, more like you're having a brother. And you got two from Las Almas. 

At the end of the road, there's a turn right. There is an ice cream seller with balloons, a child, and an armed man wearing a balaclava on the roadside. MacTavish's eyes lock on them for a moment before he looks at Ghost as he did the same. 

"Kids, guns, and ballons... That's a new one." You don't know whether you imagine it or not, but you sense a little amusement in Soap's voice. You lean closer to whisper in his ear, "Ghost's long-lost brother." Then you lean back as you raise your hand, then gesture your hand around your face to hint at the masked man you both saw earlier.

Soap looks at you with a smirk, then you both chuckle, drawing the attention of the man beside you. "I'm not deaf." A gruff voice said, which startled you as you looked ahead again, trying to suppress your smile. Pretend like nothing happened while MacTavish was just shaking his head at you; a grin was still etched on his lips.