Chapter 3 - Reputation

Nadine's POV - 

The days passed like a blink of an eye and before Nadine knew it, spring was here and she was getting dressed and ready to leave for the next school term with her handmaids.

"Have you got everything you need, mistress?" the knight escorting her onto the carriage asked out of courtesy.

Nadine gave a small smile and nodded as she stepped into the carriage.

"I'll be fine. Thank you for asking, Garett," Nadine responded. 

It must've been an unnatural response from the lady given how the knight wasn't able to mask his surprise at her remembering his name. 

Maybe the rumors about the lady changing for the better were true? Garett wasn't sure how to respond and Nadine could see the invisible clogs working in his head. 

She had been working really hard all year to get her family servants back on her side. It really wasn't easy given how much trauma the past Nadine had left them. Even her handmaids were still startled by her sometimes when she called them, despite Nadine having apologized and showed proof of her change through actions.

Some things just need time, she supposed.

"Mia and Lara, you two are ready, yes?" Nadine asked her handmaidens who straightened up in their seats with a jolt.

"Yes mam! We're here at your disposal!" They responded in unison.

Nadine twitched an awkward smile. Were they really still scared of her? Even after all her attempts to prove to them she had changed?

"That's... great," she responded a bit dejectedly. 

Unfortunately Nadine failed to realize that although their words were strange, Mia and Lara looked happy to be of use to their lady. She had already proven to them that she had changed, especially since they worked so closely with her. It had been months since they last seen her hit another maid or say a cruel word. In fact, their lady had even been telling them 'thank you' and showing her appreciation to the servants! 

They still remembered seeing their mistress come to apologize to them in person for her past behavior.

"I know I've done you and the others a lot of harm and I promise moving forward, things will be different." Nadine had said, bowing her head to them. 

They had been frightened to see and asked her quickly to stop bowing. If the Duke saw, their heads would be on a pike! 

"If you have any complaints still and no longer want to work for the Brexleys, you're welcome to leave the manor with well-written recommendation letters."

The servants looked at each other nervously. What does that mean? She was providing them a way out?

"And although it's not much, I will be compensating everyone here with 200 gold per person." 

She gestured to the sacks of gold kept in the chest to her right. The servants began to murmur with one another. 

200 gold?! That's enough for them to retire comfortably for a lifetime! 

"I hope everyone here can move forward comfortably." 

It was a tough decision to make for the servants. Some of them did choose to leave the manor but those who remained began to develop a new attitude and perspective of their lady.

They had never seen a noble humble themselves before their servants before. Yes, they've been beaten and treated poorly by Nadine in the past but this was just how a servant's life was in Myrtea. They were no better than glamorized slaves. To be treated with respect was an honor they did not take likely. 

"We must make sure our lady gets the best!" Lara and Mia thought to themselves.

Staring out the window, Nadine only sighed, thinking to herself: "If fixing my reputation back home was hard, it's only going to get harder now."

She clapped her cheeks with her hands in determination.

"Impreium Academy, let's see what you have to offer."