Chapter 31 - Death retold

Appearing again, you had to hold your stomach for a second, steadying yourself before fixing your posture. Alastor couldn't help but snicker at your reaction, which earned him a gentle slap on the shoulder.

"A warning next time?"

"Where's the fun in that?" he takes your hand, turning you to your surroundings. Back in his room once again, you were met with the dazzling sight of the extending forest. "Do you think it would be appropriate to talk more openly about us?" Alastor takes a step onto the grass and holds his hand out for you. "Where we won't be disturbed?"

"I think that's a lovely idea," you hold his hand tight and follow him further than you thought you'd ever get the chance to. The walk starts silently while you both adjust to the newfound expression of affection. "Was there anything you'd like to start off with?"

"How long have you harboured feelings for me?" He glances over, almost dreading knowing.

You look away bashfully, "Since the day we met... of course, it only grew with each day- oh, but could you really blame me?" laughing in slight embarrassment, you soon admit one other thing, "and I thought it was adorable how you fibbed about liking history to talk with me,"

He suddenly halts, smiling blankly as he blinked a few times, "You... knew?"

"How stupid do you think I am?" you fold your arms, "and you?"

"Since the moment I saw that smile," he lifts your chin with his finger, "perhaps we're both stupid for never taking the chance, hm?"

"Maybe you're right," you shrug, not wanting to admit the fault you both made. "I presume you want to pursue a romantic relationship with me, Mr Alastor?"

"That I do, Miss Y/n," he takes both your hands, "Will you, my dearest-" Alastor then stops when you give him a knowing look, to which he sighs and drops to both his knees. "My dearest, brilliant and gorgeous darling Y/n, will you accept my proposal for the start of a romantic relationship?"

You tilt your head, giving it some playful thought, "I think I would be thrilled to pursue such a relationship after such a flattering proposal,"

"Brilliant, because my knees hurt," he instantly stood up and wiped away dirt from his trousers. "Only took me a few decades, but I'm quite proud of this new step," he offers his arm before continuing your journey through the forest, "now, what questions cloud your mind?"

Your hold on his arm tightens a little as you review your curious question, "By all means, deny me an answer, but would the topic of our demise be a step too soon?" you glance at him with a solemn look, "If we're laying everything out on the table here, I suppose why not?"

Alastor was taken by surprise, though the inquiry held no negative feelings. "You would really be comfortable?"

"Not that I didn't trust you, my darling, but I suppose I was fearful your opinions of me would falter after knowing my... ambitious demise," you fiddle with the fabric of his sleeve, "and I am happy to go first if-"

"Your debt," he blurts out, causing a full factory reset in your mind. It had been so long that you could hardly remember the man you had borrowed money from all those years ago. You were brilliant with your money, nothing to the extent of Mimzy, but it was still the age of depression.

"You knew... how?"

"Well, you know the day I died?" He says with a sour taste in his mouth, "That 'security guard' turned up at your door drunk, demanding money," he squeezed your hand comfortingly. "And trust me, he wasn't going to get away with how he acted towards you,"

Walking down the street, Alastor had his eyes trained on his newest target. A slight hum accompanied his smile as his coat was slipped off just as the man had turned down an alley. Oh, how absolutely perfect. Despite the difference in build, Alastor had perfected the act of killing regardless of who his target may be. So, with a handkerchief and vial in hand, he was already halfway through his plan. All he needed was a car, and soon enough, you'd be safe.