Chapter Thirty-Four ۞ The Library

Start from the beginning

She held her breath.

"Your father's real name is Garvyn Vernados Edgar."

The girl squinted at the familiar name. "Vernados?"

"Having it revealed now, it's no wonder you bear a striking resemblance to the late queen. Blue eyes, blond hair . . . you are a relative of the de la Vernados family."

"Wait. I'm confused. Who exactly is my father? If he's a member of the Vernados, why is his surname like that, then?"

"He is a distant relative, not purely a noble. He is like Tamara who did not stake claim to his immediate lineage. Although he did serve his own family as their exclusive knight, holding that position for more than two decades."

"Tamara is . . ." She trailed off.

"Tamara Vernados Silver."

"What in the—"

"Yes."

"Are you saying I'm related to Charles and Tamara?"

"You are a distant cousin, in fact. Your father's the cousin of their father."

"You're confusing the heck out of me." She blurted. "My father's the cousin of their father?"

"The current lord of Larkovia, yes."

"Okay." She pursed her lips, unable to wrap her mind around the possibility. "What else do you have?"

"Since your father was quite a well-known figure, I did a bit of research out of sheer curiosity." He threw her the other book he had previously taken out from shelf before. "I hope you are familiar with the last expedition a band of knights had taken when they went down to Earth. That book holds confidential information."

She caught it with ease for the first time, put down the other book, and scanned through the pages of the new one. It had documentation of the Lost Heralds case, the mission that came out apparently unsuccessful.

'There were five different groups with at least a number of five in each, with one leader, to go through the different gates in different points.' It said.

She read through it, Corvan silent in the background. There were several names. "Paquin Desla, Johann Selve . . ." The next one on the list gave her a shock. "Aeron LaVallene?!"

"Yes. Lord Aeron led the group going through the Vinland point. There are different gates for each continent. Arlandia to Persia, Preluresia to somewhere up north as well, Denovegasia to Manila, the Central Continent to Vinland, and Aetheria to Ilha Formosa."

"What about Larkovia?"

"Its point is inaccessible. The city it leads to has long since sunken. Atlantis."

"Holy freaking shiznits."

"That's not only it."

She stared at him.

"Look at the names listed under the leadership of Lord Aeron." He advised, watching as her eyes naturally navigated towards what he asked her to see, a short intake of breath catching in her throat.

"Philey Shard . . . Garvyn Edgar?" She found herself standing abruptly, her eyes popping out at their sockets and the hair on the back of her neck standing.

"That's right. Your father knew Lord Aeron. They didn't just come from the same world."

"I am gonna kill him!" She yelled out, waving the book around angrily as Corvan gave her a look of mild amusement. "How dare he! He even told me that—oh my god! I mean, OH MY GOD! How could he? Just . . . how could he?" Her voice broke at the end of her sentence, the loudness fading into a mere choke. "I'm tired of people. I'm tired of the lying to me."

At the peak of her emotions and the sudden rocket of her anger, the overwhelming feeling of sadness and confusion rose above all else next. Her shoulders felt all-so-suddenly heavy that she sunk back down on the sofa, her face buried in her palms with the book hanging so loosely from her fingers that it fell, bouncing on her feet with a soft thud. A few heartbeats later, she found herself sobbing softly.

"Pathetic." She lifted her chin slightly with a red nose and wet eyes, trying to stop the sudden flow of tears that assaulted her right then. "I don't know why I'm crying . . . this is the first time I've cried without any real reason, I . . ."

"You have the freedom to cry, and the will to cry." Said Corvan as he stood up to pick up the book on the floor and the other book beside her. His towering form blocked the source of light from Val's vision as she bent back her head to gaze at him. "To ask why you do is nonsense and illogical. Although I have said before that you should not break down over petty and trivial reasons, that is not the case now."

"I don't understand."

"There are things that should not be understood, pursuing answers are sometimes futile and in vain. I have learned this the hard way." He said, handing her the books. "Sometimes, no matter how much you try, some things cannot be stopped. If that happens, then just let it go. After that, do what you must."

She wiped her nose. "I don't know why you sound so strangely comforting and cool at the same time. It makes sense, I guess. Where did you take this? Personal experience?"

"You should give yourself the credit."

"Huh." She dumbly replied.

"I shall not repeat myself." He firmly stated, going back to his chair.

Corvan's eyes were darkened, and she did not know why that was.

"Now, busy yourself with more important things such as training. You cannot face me the way you are now and I do not wish for such an easy win."

"Whatever, jerk." She huffed, finally composing herself. "You change faces so fast I don't know which one I should believe. But they're all a part of Corvan, so I guess that's why I . . ." She stopped short.

Like the way you are.

Her tongue twisted inside her mouth as she realized what she was about to say. Valeriana stopped in time, even so. Occasionally, Corvan was a jerk. Even worse sometimes like a girl PMSing. It was weird, but he showed sides to him that made it obvious he had a warm heart despite his cold demeanor.

It was ironic really. He was labeled the Cold Prince for a reason, but he should be given another name.

"Corvan."

Just, simply Corvan.

"I find the logic behind your sentence irrational."

"There are things that should not be understood." She stuck her tongue out at him and turned to leave his private library. "I'll meet you in the arena. Although I may not be as great as you are, I'll give a run for your money."

The young lord gave her a look that accepted her challenge. "Interesting. I will be waiting."