12 - I'm Not the Villain.

"You should stay away from him,"

I pause in my tracks, nearly stumbling right over my own feet at his words. I gawk up at him, ignoring the bright sunlight directly behind him as he just hovers over me with a nearly expressionless face.

The two of us decided to take the long way to campus, which is around a park instead of cutting straight through it. I debated on just telling him I didn't want to be late, but ultimately kept my mouth shut to hear what he had to say.

Suffice to say: I'm starting to regret my decision.

"I don't think-"

He interrupts me as he keeps on walking down the busy sidewalk. I shake myself out of the initial shock and jog to catch up to him. "He's a confused man, Nathan," he finally slows his stride when he realizes my struggle to keep up with his pace. "You of all people should know that,"

The words unscramble in my head and make their way out of my mouth in a stream of defenses. "Whatever's happening between us is our business, Connor,"

Back in school, I never really spoke much to Connor, let alone ever imagined talking to him like this. But who does he think he is to waltz into my shop, drag me with him to my class and start telling me to 'stay away from' my friend? "And what do you even mean by 'confused'?"

He pauses this time and I stop with him. We end up shuffling to the side to stay out of people's way and stop awkwardly right by a potted plant next to a hotel's entrance. "He doesn't even know what he wants, being around him right now, knowing how you feel about him, is a bad idea,"

"You can't be serious, Connor, you haven't even seen me since high school, what makes you so confident in my 'feelings'?" I nearly raise my voice, but stop myself as an elderly couple leisurely stroll out of the hotel. I notice a slight twinge in his eyebrow, but choose to ignore it. I don't care if he's annoyed right now.

"Please- Nathan, you were head over heels for that guy in high school, I'm sure those feelings haven't changed for the man he is now," he crosses his arms and I just watch, completely stunned at his behavior and his words.

"I-" At a complete loss for words, I sense the familiar sense of nervousness creeping up my spine. My feelings for Aiden have never been voiced by myself or anyone else for that matter. I least expected it to happen like this...

In the chaotic sounds of the city, I barely manage to hear his long sigh at my hesitance. What does he even expect me to say?

I don't know what came over me as the next words fly right out of my mouth, but it is what is. "You haven't changed Connor,"

This is not how I expected highschool to go for me. – For us.

Me watching my best friend from my locker as him and his new boyfriend stride over to their group of friends. A muscular arm around Aiden's neck as the two of them smile at each other and their friends chide them for being so 'lovey-dovey'.

Even from here, I can hear Connor's confident voice boom across the halls.

"Laugh all ya' want guys!" He plants a smooch on Aiden's cheek, making the latter laugh loudly. A laugh I've missed so much and haven't heard in what feels like a lifetime comes from Aiden. I finally force myself to look away.

He's practically glowing over there.

Did he ever look like that when he was with me?

"Guys, let's hang out at my place after," Belle announces.

The group is making their way in my direction and I hide my face in my locker as best I can without looking like a complete idiot.

"Can't guys, promised Aiden I'd take him on a date tonight,"