Ch.12: Before the Rescue

Start from the beginning

Later that night, Cloud stirred awake and rose to his feet. He looked over and saw Y/n, Barret, and Wedge fast asleep. He carefully exited the room where he thought he saw Aerith walking down the stairs. Quietly, Cloud made his way out of the house and followed Aerith towards a flower bed. "How is this... Is this a dream?" "Maybe. You tell me." "You okay?" "Don't I look it? I used to live in the Shinra building, back when I was really little." "Your mom told us." "Right. So it kinds feels like I've gone back to my childhood home, you know? Honestly, it's not that bad." Cloud scoffed. "So what, you wanna stay?" "Come on, Cloud. Don't be silly." "Your mom's really worried too." "Too? So you're worried about me?" "O-Of course I am." "I'm sorry about that. Really." Aerith turned towards a glowing light in sky. Cloud followed her gaze and gasped.

 Cloud followed her gaze and gasped

"Is that..." "Everyone dies eventually." "I suppose." "So we need to make the most of the time we have to live our lives the way we wanna live. Every minute... every moment, matters." "I'll remember that." "Good. So..." "You need to embrace this moment. Right?" "I'm glad I met you, Cloud. I really am. I'm grateful for all the words we've shared. For all the moments and the memories. You've made me more happy than you know. And I'll always cherish what you've given me. But... but whatever happens, you can't fall in love with me." Those words cut Cloud deep. Aerith took notice and held his cheek. "Even if you think you have... it's not real." Cloud tried to reach for her, but his arm passed through. "Do I get a say in all this?" "It's almost morning. Time to go." "I'm coming for you." Aerith smiled. "If that's what you want. Thank you." Cloud opened his eyes and shocked to see that he was still inside the room. His mind process what had just happened. Was it real? A dream? Could he truly be in love with Aerith? Or is it all a fantasy?

The following morning, the four had gathered in the living room with Elmyra. "You've done more for us than we deserve." Barret said to Elmyra. "I won't forget this. If you ever need anything, all you gotta do is holler." "Happy to help out however I can." "Elmyra." Cloud began. "I've been thinking about what you said." She interupted. "She's calling out to me." Said Cloud. "I can feel it." "We all can." Tifa added. "So please. She's our friend. We have to help her." Elmyra looked at Y/n. "We'll find her and bring back safe and sound. I promise." "I always knew it was coming. Knew that one day I'd have to say goodbye to my baby girl. But not yet. Please. Bring her back to me." "We will." "Daddy!" Marlene called as she ran down the stairs. "Marlene." Barret looked down at his daughter. "Are you going?" Barret knelt down to Marlene's level. "I'm sorry, honey. I wish I didn't have to. I wish I could be with you all the time. I really do. But if I stay here, I can't fight out there." "Hm?" "Some bad people are... trying to hurt the planet. And daddy... daddy and his friends ate trying to stop those bad people. The slums, your friends, the whole planet... it's daddy's job to protect it. He extended his arm and Marlene smiled, wrapping her small arms around her father. "And that's why I've gotta go. You remember that nice girl who came to find you? Well, now we gotta go find her. And when we bring her home, you need to say thank you, okay?" "Kay! That girl... she was kinda..." "What?" "Nothing. You should help her." "We will." "You'll come back... right?" "Of course. I promise." "Okay. You can go."