Chapter 4

The wind had a petrichor smell emanating through the glow of dawn. Loud rumbles from the sky can be heard for miles with lightning that follows. The morning birds have not yet sung since the thick, dreary clouds have not let the sun peek out. Alfred was confident and double-checked if there was any chance of rain, though the grey clouds declared otherwise. Through thick and thin, the rain will not stop him from this. After a week of anticipation, it has finally come to this: the interview.

The bustling central streets of Harge were challenging to maneuver, with white-collared workers making their way to their jobs and locals passing their time downtown. This area in the city is a central hub where all the people come by to pass the time, work, or find other means in this town. If you ever need to find or make connections, this place is the way to go in the city of Harge.

Before, the city was not something to boast about. Even though it is a city, the whole place was more like a back waters town. Harge was always a year late on the trends. There wasn't any latest technology that the stores were able to provide. It was a small quiet town where they were quite known for the winery. Harge was established because of the rich land and nice weather. People would say that the previous mayor, Mr. Hopkins, did not care for the town at all later in his career. He did help the town so much in his prime. As the years went by, you would think that he was in denial that he was getting old. Every election, he would win because he did have the reputation of being a good man. He had three generations worth of support. Sometimes, you need to accept the reality of when to call it. The town was slowly dying like what's left of life he had.

You can go by for miles out of the city limit, and you will not see a living soul in sight, only plains or forests. Many talented people that are born from this town have no choice but to move away, it was a farm town.

Later on, after the old mayor croaked and a new one stepped in, there was the new man that made his way into town. The new campaign for this new mayor, Mr. Arnold, was: "Out with the old, and in with the new". During the 90s, there was not much to look at. The mayor wanted to find a way to liven up and modernize the place. You have to give credit to the mayor that the city did have the latest models of cars, equipment, technology, and you name it! The people were so hysterical with all the new things they were able to get. One of the facilities you can thank for is CROPEL Industries. This new mayor was visiting the CROPEL frequently. Some folks thought that the man lived in the facility itself. The people were worried about what was going on. Mr. Arnold was the one that sponsored their projects. He believed that CROPEL was the one that would lead this city to the future.

Two decades later, there was talk about a secret project they've been working on. No one knew if the details were either factual or plain rumors, however, the one that was closer to the truth would either move away with no valid reason or never to be seen. CROPEL has grown into the number one facility that offers the newest and revolutionary technology. Harge became a tourist spot and a place for people to awe or become part of it.

The dark navy blue monkey suit he needed to wear made his movements feel stiff yet comforting. There are so many things he can complain about the suit. Alfred is used to wearing edgy attire rather than looking sophisticated. He feels as though he's someone else right now. However, Alfred stops himself because there is nothing more to say. It was his old man's. Alfred remembers his conversation with his mother when she gave him this suit 10 years ago before she was able. It was when his father disappeared during the accident through groundbreaking experimentation in the first-ever science department in charge in the year of 2010. His father was exhilarated that they didn't need to move and continue his search somewhere else if the job was going to be in his hometown. He even had an invite to work there. The device was supposed to work, and there was no error through the calculations as the investigators stated, but something always goes wrong when you don't check the little things. Alfred's mother heard the news through the phone. It was past 1:00 am. Little Alfred saw his mother freeze on the spot and stare in space until she fell to the ground sobbing. She was broken after that. Before she was able to take care of Alfred, she gave him a chest full of his father's belongings. There were old notes of research, journals, and some old clothes. Alfred's mother rummaged through the chest and took out the piece. She told him that this suit was the one that helped his father to ace anything that stood his way. His father's lucky suit. Today is better than ever to use the suit; when Alfred puts on the suit today, he can feel that he is not alone and has the confidence to tackle anything.

Alfred has difficulty through the crowd, but that will not stop him. He was anxious about this day's event; Alfred was reviewing the mental checklist that he had everything in his folders: resume, letters of recommendation, and portfolio. Alfred was almost scared that he might have forgotten the letter Eileen had written for him. Alfred was not sure as to why he needed this letter for the interview. Before he left, Eileen informed him that if the interview was not going well, he needed to give this to the interviewer and everything would be okay. She has the confidence that Alfred is not going to need it because Eileen knows that he will get the job. This is just Plan Z, the very last resort.

As Alfred was in the middle of walking through the crosswalk, he felt a drop on his hair. The rain starts to pour. Alfred just needed a few blocks more to arrive. He has his belongings in a tight grip as he jogs his way, just two more crosswalks. Alfred finds his way to stay dry by waiting under the stores' canopies. Through much effort, Alfred finally arrives at his destination: CROPEL.

CROPEL Industries is a multinational industrial company and tech conglomerate focusing on a broad spectrum of security and defense, chemical, aerospace, and medical. It started in the 18th century during the peak of the Industrial Revolution. The company had humble beginnings, starting as a small trading company and growing into today's massive company with countless subdivisions.

In recent years, there have been many breakthroughs in the CROPEL labs, and Alfred has wanted to be a part of it since he was a boy. He wants to be just like his old man and work under CROPEL.

He arrived at the tall doors of the building. Inside, Alfred was mesmerized by the baroque style of the interior in the entrance area. The lobby and the offices to the sides feel as though you traveled back in time. Alfred speculates that the owners did not want to lose the history behind the company, so they decided to build around it. You can see how they encased around the original structure and have the modern architect of today. The architects removed a section of the original building and placed an elevator where you arrive at the main system of the company. The original building is attached to a skyscraper behind. Just picture it, the brains of CROPEL are just through those elevator doors, and Alfred is standing in the heart. Alfred was so fascinated and in awe that he did not see where he was walking and bumped into a worker. All of Alfred's papers fell on the floor.

Awkwardly, he shuffled his papers together, repeatedly apologizing to the man in a suit. The man replied there wasn't a problem while Alfred adjusted his damp suit, hair, and forms. The man was already long gone.

Alfred can feel that his face is flushed red. Why is he feeling this way?

"There is nothing to fuss about". Alfred thinks to himself. "It's a simple interview".

If he gets the job, it was meant to be. Alfred remembers a saying from his mother that if something was meant to be, then it will be. If it wasn't, then it wasn't yours to begin with.

Alfred tries to make himself believe that he is meant for this job. He did everything academically to be able to qualify for the job. Even though he doesn't have any job experience in the field, he did apply to many jobs before coming here like a couple of retail stores, several internships, and the pizza place. Alfred feels that should mean something. He tries to think of a way to give himself a pep talk, but there is a sensation that's sweeping through his mind.

He gazes at the ground.

Alfred tightens his grip on his folders.

Worse than a fight or flight sensation, it has been a long time since he felt this way: clammy hands, light-headed, queasy, skittish, tense, and a bottomless pit in his stomach. He thought he was past this, but you can't run away from the sense of failure and anxiety. Alfred tries to remember when was the last time he felt this way.