Trials and Tribulations

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, but she's acting like we bloody well skinned her alive."

"I think it was more the bathing that frightened her," I commented, laughing slightly.

•••••

The workload proved to be more than substantial almost immediately when I found myself in the library that night as opposed to socialising.

I sighed, and rested my head in my hands as I stared hopelessly at Snape's homework we had been assigned.

Where was Hermione when you needed her?

The library was unusually empty, even at this hour. Come to think of it, I hadn't even seen the librarian?

Very suddenly, I heard the sound of a pile of books falling and breaking the silence. Admittedly uncomfortable, I turned my body to look behind me.

Nobody.

I narrowed my eyes and scanned the three aisles of books I could see from my seat carefully.

Still, absolutely nothing.

A little freaked out, I slowly turn my body back to face the work in front of me and nearly had a heart attack.

"Cedric!" I gasped, "Don't do that!"

Laughing, he leaned against the side of the table I was working at, "My baaaad."

"Need a hand with that?" he added.

I sighed, moving my hair out of my face. "You any use at DADA?" I asked, "I feel like I'm drowning in Snape's assignments."

He laughed once more. That sweet, contagious laugh. "Snape's the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher? You're bullshitting me."

Joining in on his laughter, I replied, "Swear."

I handed him my paper, "And knock yourself out."

His eyes scanned the paper, then he abruptly said, "You're a prefect?"

I raised an eyebrow and looked down at the badge pinned on my uniform that he'd noticed, "I've been a prefect."

"You never told me."

"Yeah well—" I blanked. Why hadn't I told my own brother I was a prefect? That was our whole goal? I had to have to told him? He had to have noticed?

"You should really speak to me more," he added. "I get lonely."

I sniggered. "Cedric Diggory? Lonely? Please."

"I'm being serious!" he smiled. "Number 7's answer is the Killing Curse by the way."

I furrowed my eyebrows and snatched the paper from him.

"Surely I'd have figured that one out." But no. There the question was, plain as day.

"Weird..." I added.

"Anywa—" I gasped and nearly fell back out of my chair as I looked up.

My brother who had looked normal a moment ago in front of me, was now that unforgettable blue fleshed colour. His eyes were nothing but whites and his mouth was slightly agape. His veins disturbingly visible.

Through the fear-born tears that had formed in my eyes, I whispered shakily, "Cedric...?"

No reply.

However, when he moved slightly, a high pitched screech immediately started blaring.

Now full on crying, I covered my ears and shut my eyes tightly. After what felt like forever, the noise finally stopped.

I slowly removed my hands from my ears.