⇢ ˗ˏˋ Confrontation ࿐ྂ

In the days to come, a person couldn't help but notice how Harry's life had turned upside down.

Every house except for Gryffindor had turned on the boy, and I'd noticed Ron was giving Harry the cold shoulder as well.

I didn't know what was going on there, but I assumed it was just Ron being Ron.

Harry and Hermione still looked to be on good terms though.

During breaks, I'd always seen the trio under a specific tree in the quad, but everyday since the announcement of the champions, it was just Ron and Hermione there.

Ginny, Dean and I often strolled along the banks of the lake during our breaks and today had been no different.

I'd heard the sound of someone skipping stones on the lake and turned my head to look.

I spotted Harry under a tree near the banks. He had been leaning against the bark of the tree with his legs bent in front of him.

Neville was knee deep in the lake a few steps in front of Harry, but they weren't talking to each other.

Harry tossed another stone and his mind looked to be somewhere We we hadn't spoken a word to each other since the break up, and as much as I hated to admit it, I still cared about him.

An unwanted memory filled my mind of when Harry and I had gone on a date here.

He'd brought me to that tree after we'd snuck out the castle, and we had laid talking and stargazing into the night.

He'd bet me a galleon on who could skip a stone the farthest.

I'd lost miserably but Harry never took compensation, even though all his bets were of monetary value. He'd always said something along the lines of,  "Ah, you'll get me next time so don't worry about it."

I pushed the memory aside and contemplated for a little longer, before coming to a hesitant decision. Turning to Dean and Ginny, I said, "Uh you guys go ahead. I'll catch up."

They looked a little confused, but ultimately nodded and continue walking. I hesitated for a while longer before slowly walking towards Harry.

He hadn't heard me - which confirmed my suspicion of his mind being somewhere else -  even though the autumn leaves had been crackling very loud underneath each of my steps.

"Hi Y/n!" Neville beamed from the lake. He had a bundle of seaweed in his one hand.

I stopped dead in my tracks. There went my plan of easing in my presence.

Where I'd stopped, I was standing right beside where Harry was sitting.

He looked up and shuffled in a flustered way when he saw it was me.

I stood and fiddled with my bag straps nervously.

Neville, oblivious to the awkwardness he'd just caused, walked deeper into the lake in search of more seaweed presumably.

Even though Neville was out of earshot, no words were exchanged between Harry and I. He was clearly very surprised to see me of all people here.

After a while I smiled awkwardly, "Uh... Hey, Harry... I know we don't uh... speak anymore really... but, I just wanted to ask if you're...you know, okay?

He avoided looking into my eyes and replied in a much softer tone than I was used to, "...Hi, y/n...oh yeah, yeah i'm fine."

there was a silence that I broke by asking in a concerned whisper, "Harry. What the hell were you thinking entering your name in? How did you even manage to do that?"