Chapter 28 - Clean Up

Start from the beginning

"Tell me about it," Angel tilts his head, watching other aspects of Alastor's magic managing other sections.

"Maybe he wants to put just as much effort as we seem to be," Pentious slithers by. "He mentioned something about 'good old-fashioned hard work'"

Charlie gleams from beside Vaggie, "you think he'll want to redeem himself, too?" she inquires. "I did say doing hard work without magic might help with redemption,"

"One thing at a time, mi amor," Vaggie chuckles, nodding her head to the door, "now, let's get this out the way," they carry a broken statue's heavy limbs to the door.

Niffty suddenly runs into the foyer, "Y/n is back!"

Alastor perks his head up first, patting his forehead with a handkerchief. He adjusts his folded sleeves, pushing them back up over his elbows as he follows the others to the entrance. Charlie runs past everyone and is the first to greet you with a big hug, "are you okay??"

"Calm down, I'm okay," you reciprocate her hug, "the museum got robbed, not me,"

"I know, but this was your life!" she gives a trembling frown.

"No, it was work, and don't get me wrong, I love this place, but we can fix it up," you wipe her tears away. Your eyes soon focus on everyone else, "and you all really didn't have to,"

"Eh, don't mention it," Husk waves away the concern, "you sure you're good, though?"

"Yeah, no worries," you wave off the concern just the same while walking up the steps, "now," sleeves rolled up and coat thrown onto the desk, you give a warm smile, "someone hand me a broom,"

Alastor does so with a gentle smile, and everyone soon disperses to carry on duties. "I promise, I will find out who-"

"Alastor," you take his hand, "you being here is enough. We can deal with it later, alright?"

He gives a nod and kisses your temple, "of course, my dear,"

You follow him through the ruins for the first time, "I didn't expect you to go back to good old-fashioned hard work," you tease.

"What can I say? It's humbling," he rubs the back of his neck. "Still quite tedious and dirty, but I think I've done a half-decent job,"

"Well, if it's any consolation, you still look handsome doing so," you nudge him a little playfully.

~~~

By the time the sun had set, the museum looked brand new. As if nothing had happened except a significant cleanout, the floors were back to their polished state, and magic had reversed any considerable damage to the structure.

You lean your head on Alastor's arm, admiring everyone's hard work. It was a solemn moment of silence as if redemption and good spirits were a possibility for sinners such as yourselves—hand in hand, with one goal in mind and nothing expected as a reward.

This was humanity at its finest.

"I can't thank you all enough," you express openly, "Seriously. This is... more than I could ever ask of you guys,"

"It's okay! I got to make more bug puppets," Niffty giggles, holding up a box of dead bugs dressed in little outfits and wigs.

You cringe but hold up a supportive smile, "Good job, Niffty," taking a step forward, you face the group, "Dinner and drinks on me,"

Cheers ring out as the group discards their equipment to one side and exits the museum with fulfilled smiles. "You've had a stressful day, my dear," Alastor takes his coat and places yours over your shoulder. "worry about the rest tomorrow, yes?"

"You're right," you take his hand and pull him to follow the rest as Lucifer places a spell over the new structure whilst Cecelia locks up the museum once again.

~~~

Next chapter is about to be wild

- Anna ❤️