06 | Dulcet

Trigger warning: mentions of self harm<3 care care, loves.

Who knows? Who knows? Who knows? Who knows?I just go where the trade winds blowsSending love to my friends and foes

I just go where the trade winds blows
Sending love to my friends and foes

The ends of the coat tug harder against my body, attempting to shield myself with the warmth of a cold night after the chilly air had been biting and nipping away at my chilly skin.

And I suppose
I'm pleased
To be chilling in the West Indies (How you mean?)
Jah provide all my wants and needs.

The yellow spotlights shown from far above lit the pavements, the only source of light that granted my stroll home after a long day's work at the Styles Estate. The blaring silence of the night is filled with the steady clicking of my flat shoes along the pavement; however, it's muted by the beautiful rhythms of the song enveloping me.

I got the sunshine, rivers, trees
Green leaves, ooh yeah
Where me see Jah me see a way

Everything else fades away when I'm wrapped in the tunes, especially the music that reminds me so much of my father. It guides me and ensures my safety, far better than the dim lights along the walk.

Drastically stray from hypocrisy I say (Ay)
Every man to dem own a philosophy
I live the proper way and then mi read a chapter daily
Man deh in a city hungry and nuh eat
And food deh down a country just a drop off a di trees dem
You see say proverty nuh real den
Is what the reasoning revealing

Tonight, I had been stalled along with Lacy and Santinique for nearly two hours past the end of our daily shifts. Jack needed us, and the sanctuary of my attic apartment was forgone against the added hours of pay I'd receive at the end of the week.

Anticipation bubbled as my mind crossed over my home, and suddenly, I felt every tired ache clamping around different parts of my body. The warmth and comfort I'd finally received after a long day was the motivation I needed to step my foot in front of other.

Who knows? Who knows? Who knows? Who knows?
I just go where the trade winds blows
Sending love to my friends and foes (Hello)
And I suppose (Hello)
I'm pleased
To be chilling in the West Indies
Jah provide all my wants and needs
I got the sunshine, rivers, and trees
Green leaves, oh yeah-

The headphones are ripped out of my ears with force, the act signaling the pitch in the road to liquify and glue me to the very spot, trapping me in startled stillness. In another split second, as my heart began to fight against the confinements of my ribcage, an arm clamped around the front of my body. My immediate response is to release a form of a scream but it's stifled before the sound can escape by the harsh palm slammed over my mouth.

I can feel this person's presence behind me, cowering over my smaller frame with their larger build. My hands are trapped at my sides due to the steel grip trapped from arm to arm.