💫 7

"five! four! three! two! one!" the students in the auditorium chanted, cheering as the buzzer ran down to zero. a scoreboard mounted on one of the gymnasium walls spelled out the words 'GAME OVER' in gigantic lettering, signifying the end of another round of save the citizen. the heroes lost, due to being put against seungcheol and soonyoung (and jihoon sneaking in and out under the not so watchful eye of coach boomer).

in the center of the gymnasium, a plastic mannequin that hung down from the ceiling was destroyed, falling into a large contraption with protruding steel teeth that tore through the mannequin's body. plastic limbs were flying around as the crowd cheered the victory of the villain team. seungcheol and soonyoung did a belly bump, doing an air five with jihoon who was sitting in the stands with a smug look on his face.

from a podium high above the floor, coach boomer sat on a chair. the man blew his whistle as he said, "jung! lee! your citizen has been mulched because you failed to defeat your villains." he gave a pointed look to seungcheol and soonyoung before he continued. "all right, next round. speed, lash, you wanna be heroes or villains?"

seungcheol smiled cockily as he said, "villains." soonyoung nodded along enthusiastically, a cocky smile of his own stretching across his face.

coach boomer looked down at his clipboard as he marked them down as villains, thoroughly unimpressed as he said, "ooh, there's a surprise." he looked up at the boys as he asked them, "all right, who do you want to beat next?"

seungcheol and soonyoung exchanged a glance, nodding as seungcheol pointed out into the crowd and said, "we'll take little stronghold, and..." he trailed off, not sure who to pick next.

sat at the bleachers, chan rolled his eyes. he knew they were going to pick him, and the encouraging pat on his back from mingyu didn't help him. neither did the crowd gasping loudly.

soonyoung smirked as he added, "and we pick wonwoo!" he pointed up at the younger boy who was sitting by himself. the students were scared to sit next to him in the gymnasium, it would seem.

wonwoo slapped his hands on his knees as he slowly stood up and went to put the protective gear on. chan's friends glanced between chan and wonwoo nervously, knowing that this pairing could possibly end in disaster for one or both of them.

once chan and wonwoo were geared up and on the gymnasium floor, they walked cautiously towards the center of the floor. chan was avoiding wonwoo's gaze as best as he could. but even he knew he would have to look at him eventually. they were on the same team, and if he wanted to win and keep his friends safe from those three, he needed to play nice with wonwoo and win the game.

"hothead! stronghold! you're the heroes." coach boomer announced.

chan fidgeted with the protective gear, annoyed that it didn't fit him well. he looked up at the stands and saw jeonghan smiling at him. the boy shot him a sweet smile, waving cutely at the young boy as he was waiting for the round to start. how can a wave be so cute? chan waved back with a shy smile on his face.

wonwoo looked between the two and made a noise similar to a growl as he spat, "hey! keep your head in the game!"

chan dropped his smile, nodding awkwardly as he looked away. he just wanted the round to start. better to get this out of the way now.

"you have three minutes to immobilize your opponents and save the citizen!" coach boomer pointed towards the center of the gymnasium. a new mannequin hung down from the ceiling, chanting 'save me' in a robotic voice and kicking its legs.

"ready. set." the machine behind chan and wonwoo sprung to life, the mechanical teeth of the contraption spinning around in a circular motion. "battle!" coach boomer bellowed as the countdown began.