Right On The Money

Author's Note: I AM SO SORRY! I have felt completely unmotivated and abandoned you guys for months. :( I can't promise to upload consecutively but I will try my best to upload as much as I can. I hope you like the chapter and again, I apologize for the massive hiatus.

Warning: This chapter contains graphic descriptions, harsh language, and bullying. Reader discretion is advised.

_____________________________

The clock ticked at an agonizingly slow pace, filling the void of silence of the classroom. I stared at Saito who was staring off into space, twirling a pencil between his fingers as he already finished his quiz.

It's been a couple of days since we last talked. I didn't think he was serious but anytime I tried talking to him outside of our meetings, he would walk away, avoiding me like the plague. He didn't want to be around me because I could get hurt being associated with him. If that was so, why would he even talk to me in the first place? He told me he was naive to even think he could have friends. This whole ordeal left me with a headache.

I frown, propping my chin onto my hand. I didn't know how to help him. Not that he would want my help anyway but I felt as though he needed it. I was terrified thinking it was going to be a repeat of Jun. I could make up my mistakes by doing right by him and I won't see another friend fall to depression. I'll do better this time.

"Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer." Hana whispered, chuckling under her breath.

My face burned and I crossed my arms, snapping out of it, whispering back. "I was lost in thought."

"Mhm, about your fight?" Hana smirked, twirling her hair between her fingers as she teased. Hana had started getting into the habit of teasing me about my relationship with Saito. She thought I had a crush on him and that was why I was so determined to be friends with him. If only she knew.

"Ladies, you still have a classmate trying to finish." Our teacher said, clearing her throat as she looked at the one student who was still working. I glance at Hana who shrugged her shoulders and smiled. I sink into my seat, sighing. I didn't know what to do. What was I getting myself into? I stared off into space, lost in thought again.

"Thank you for sitting with me." The biggest smile I've ever seen spread across Jun's face, embracing me in this unfamiliar warmth. I had taken the time to get to know her, despite the warnings my friends told me. I didn't understand why nobody liked her and no one would give me a good reason why, just the fact that she had terrible rumors going around about her. I decided that instead of taking my friends words at face value, I would make my own decision as to why Jun was unlikable.

I had been meaning to bring this conversation up to her and this has to be the time to do it, even if I was going to regret making her upset. "Of course! Um, if you don't mind me asking, why does everybody avoid you?" I placed my bento next to me on the bench, anticipating her answer.

Jun's smile faltered and I wanted to beat myself up for it. I completely brought down her mood. I had to know though... "Well, I guess it had to have been asked eventually. I used to be friends with Ahmya, the president of the Newspaper club?"

I nod, knowing who she was talking about. Ahmya was adored by a lot of students and teachers. Someone was always talking about how kind she is and how beautiful she is. The only thing I had heard about her that was negative was that she was two-faced, and very good at hiding it.

"Well, she used to be a really kind person but something had changed, and she started talking bad about people behind their backs. I'm not sure what changed, but one day, I was confessed to by a boy who she was dating. I didn't know because I had been gone for a week because I was sick and she didn't tell me yet, so... I said yes. It ended up being some bet he was doing with his friends, he was fooling both of us." She closed her eyes, frowning before continuing. "She wouldn't listen to me. She was furious -- called me all sorts of names, cut my hair, and spread rumors that I was a... slut who stole her boyfriend. Nobody stood up for me, either being scared that it was going to happen to them too or they believed it."