3. Moving Out

2 years later... (present day)

Wooyoung looked around at all of his friends. Mingi seemed the be the one who was most exhausted. Wooyoung saw his left eye, purple and bruised. When fighting off the horde, one of the infected had hit him straight in the face as hard as it could. The infected might be dead, but they are supernaturally strong.

Yunho and Yeosang had woken up a few minutes later. Yunho laughed at the sight of Yeosang, whose hair had seemed to stand straight up. Yeosang tried desperately to tame it, but failed and made it worse, making Yunho laugh even more.

Mingi woke up because of Yunho's loud laughter, groaning at him, "Yunho, do you have to be so loud? My head is aching."

Yunho apologized to Mingi, but he was still laughing quietly at Yeosang who made an annoyed face at him. Wooyoung couldn't help but smile at them. Despite the fact that they fought hard the night before, his team could still make light of the situation.

Woo collected his belongings and stuffed it in his backpack, getting ahead of everyone else. He walked to the edge of the parking garage and looked out on the devastated city. He saw the vine-covered, collapsed buildings at every turn. Everything was destroyed. Only few places remained intact, especially after the military bombed some of the most populated areas. Honestly, Wooyoung had gotten used to seeing these shattered cities, and nowadays he finds them to be beautiful.

Finding the beauty in the worst places is one of Wooyoung's best qualities. He always finds a way to become optimistic in the low points of life. His friends never know why he was like this, but since he was optimistic, it inspired them to be positive as well.

Wooyoung told the boys , "It's time to move out guys, I saw on one of the maps that there was a village outside the city. I think that's where we should head to next. There could be more supplies."

"I don't know Woo, last night was pretty rough and some of us are too sore to be walking that far today, plus it could be really dangerous. If that horde last night is only a fraction of the infected in the city, we are screwed," Mingi said.

"That's exactly why we need to leave the city as soon as possible. We can't be sitting ducks for long. It's a pretty hot day today, which means there will be a lot of infected inside rather than out. Today is a good day to move out." Yeosang said, agreeing with Wooyoung.

"Yunho, what do you think we should do?" Mingi asked.

"I don't know, I hate to disagree with you Mingi but the zombies already know where we are and the longer we stay here the less safe it is. I think it's better to go to that village. The whole city's been raided anyways. There's nothing left here."

Mingi, visibly frustrated, reluctantly agreed to go to the village. It was pretty early in the morning, so it gave the boys plenty of time to get to the village by tonight.

The boys packed their makeshift beds (that weren't the most comfortable), and started walking down the stairwell of the parking garage.

The parking garage was practically filled with dusty cars, most of which couldn't even start without some serious maintenance. Wooyoung tried to fix one before, but the car hadn't been touched since the outbreak started. It was no use getting it to start.

As they walked out of the exit door into the streets, the sun hit them harshly. Their clothes covered most of their body from the sunlight, but they all knew they'd be sunburned by the end of the day.

No infected were in sight. Infected were more active during the night in the summer, because summer temperatures were extremely high.

As they walked, Mingi and Wooyoung began to talk about what Wooyoung had heard a couple of days before.

"Mingi, you know that one couple we met a couple of days ago? The one in the cabin?"

"Yeah, what about them Woo?"

"Well, I had overheard their radio on their bedroom nightstand. It was connected to federal communications and government agencies. Apparently the scientists had finally found a breakthrough with the virus. They said the cure should be complete in the next year or so."

"They say that at LEAST every 6 months Woo, don't be surprised when they say it failed. It always does."

"I don't know, I just have a lot of hope for this one. I have a good feeling this time."

"Whatever you say, Woo. Just don't get your hopes up. It's sooo annoying when you mope around because you were let down. It makes all of us in a bad mood."

"Oh whatever Mingi, at least I don't complain every time I get slightly hurt. If an infected even puts a finger on you, you act like you died. Then you expect me and Yeosang to fix you up when there's nothing wrong with you. For someone so experienced in combat you sure are a crybaby."

"Shut up Woo, that's not even true."

"Whatever you say, crybaby."

Mingi walks away from him and falls back to Yunho. At least Yunho won't make fun of him.

The boys follow Yeosang who has the map. He's the best with directions. They come across an alley, hearing strange sounds coming from it. Yeosang quickly pulled out his baseball bat, ready to fight whatever it was. Yunho did the same, pulling out his kitchen knife from his pack. The boys approached the alleyway and spotted an infected roaming the area.

Mingi stepped forward slowly, but accidentally stepped on a piece of broken glass. Immediately the infected turned to his direction and ran with mouth open. Yeosang jumped in front of the zombie and used his bat to fend off the creature, with Yunho stabbing the infected from the back.
Wooyoung took the a broken bottle lying on the street and stuck it in the infected's head. The only way the kill an infected is damaging its brain.

The infected immediately fell to the ground, still having a hold of Yeosang's bat. Its stiff hands refused to let go of it. Yeosang pryed off the fingers, breaking them while doing so. He grabbed his bat and threw it back in his pack.

Mingi said to the boys, "Sorry guys. Didn't see the glass there."

Yeosang whispered , "Will you just be quiet? If you keep going there'll be another horde coming for us. And then it'll be your fault all over again."

Mingi looked down in guilt. He didn't mean to cause trouble for his friends.

Yunho put his arm around Mingi to comfort him. Mingi grabbed Yunhos hand in acceptance, and decided to move forward. Yeosang took out his map once again and went through the alleyway to the street that led out of the city.