[09]

when you can't go right, go left.

"are you sure you want us to come?" chris asked her again on their walk to the cafe

"are you sure you want us to come?" chris asked her again on their walk to the cafe. "we can leave if you want." 

"it's fine, chris," minhee reassured him. "yeji wants to see you guys, too."

hyunjin, who was walking behind them, was unusually quiet. when they reached the cafe, chris was the first to spot yeji from the windows. he waved at her and walked ahead of minhee to get to the door. 

"minhee?" the tall boy asked, touching her wrist lightly to grab her attention but pulling it back quickly. she turned around to see him nervously fiddling with his rings. "can we, um, also talk real quick? only, like, a couple minutes, but if you're not—"

"sure," she agreed quickly. she glanced at chris, who was looking at them expectantly, holding the door open. "you go ahead. tell yeji i'll be there in a minute." 

he looked like he was about to protest, but instead, he nodded and went inside, leaving the ex-lovers together outside. 

"what's up?" she asked him, trying to read his body language. 

he took a deep breath. "i know we only made up yesterday, and i know it's definitely too early for anything, but i want to be honest with you, and i'd like for you to be honest with me." 

she nodded. "okay..." she responded, her words trailing off so he knew he could continue. 

"after i got home yesterday, i realized how badly i screwed up in the past, and while i know that it was, technically, neither of our faults, i can't help but blame it on me. and whether this is the worst part or the best part, i'm still in love with you." he sighed when he saw the look of surprise on her face. "i know i fucked up. i know you don't trust me. i know i could have done many things to prevent it, but i want to work forward instead of backwards. i'm going to keep fighting for you, and i will prove myself to you again. i just"— he paused, trying to find the right words— "i just want to know if i have a chance." 

there was a pause as minhee formulated a response. finally, she said, "you're right. you're going to have to work for it, and i'm not gonna lie or sugarcoat it. we might be acquaintances, maybe even friends, but letting me love you again is a whole other step. but if i'm being honest, you have a chance. i think i gave you that chance after our conversation yesterday." 

"can i ask another question?" he asked nervously. she nodded, and he continued, "do you love chris?"

the question took her aback. "he's my best friend, of course i do." 

"so... platonically?" she nodded, confirming his statement, and a wave of relief washed over his face. 

"why?" she asked. 

he shrugged. "it's just... he's the only one you seem super close with, and i know that if you love him back, i don't stand even if you give me a chance."