THE ANGELES DAILY

EXCLUSIVE: Aurora Wilder Calls It Quits with Costar Pierce Mendez

by Marnie Moyer

JUST SHY OF ONE YEAR since the couple were spotted at dinner together in downtown Waverly, actress Aurora Wilder and her Play It Sane costar Pierce Mendez called it quits this weekend, according to an insider report.

The pair met two years ago on set of Constance Alden's star-studded thriller Devil I Know, where a then-16-year-old Wilder played an aspiring gymnast fending off an actual demon and a few of her own. Wilder, though well-known in the industry as a child television actor and the eldest daughter of supermodel Darcy Maven, was new to the silver screen, and found Mendez's experience a comfort during the intense filming. Mendez, 18, was reportedly "immediately smitten" with Wilder, and their on-screen chemistry carried onto the red carpet premiere and in their ScreenBite interviews with the rest of the cast.

The film marked a breakthrough performance for Wilder, who garnered critical acclaim for the supporting role, and Mendez, who subsequently starred in the action-adventure No Vacancy the same year. Nine months later, the two joined the cast of teen drama Play It Sane in the lead roles. Mendez stayed in touch with Wilder between the premiere of Devil I Know and through the auditions for Play It Sane, and credited Wilder with helping him score the role during their chemistry reading.

Two months into the show's filming, the two were spotted at a restaurant in downtown Waverly, and the rest is history: one picnic and one public hand-hold later, Wilder confirmed their relationship during an interview with KC Magazine, gushing about Mendez's "dreamboat charm" and "movie-star smile." Play It Sane's press tour cemented them as Hollywood's new it-couple: fans were quick to point out their chemistry on-screen and off, while costars Kiara Connelly and Rowan Becker shared stories of their off-set romance, like Mendez's daily flower delivery to Wilder's trailer, and Wilder hosting his twentieth birthday bash at her family's beach estate. It was a love story for the ages, and after the endless press tour coverage made Play It Sane one of Illéa's most-viewed shows, a season renewal was inevitable, and exciting.

The couple seemed to be going strong through season two's filming—reportedly wrapping at the end of this month—making their sudden split even more shocking. Neither has given any comment, but our source says their split wasn't entirely amicable, and not at all mutual: "One of them knows they're good for each other, but the other isn't sure. That made cracks start to show."

Which of them fell out of love first, we aren't sure, but we can't ignore the timing of the breakup. With the application deadline of Prince Thomas's Selection just one week away, Wilder (18) fits perfectly in the 17-21 age range. In a radio interview with ZFM, a month before Wilder met Mendez, she expressed interest in the Selection, saying "everybody has a little crush on the prince" and joking that it was "the mark of an Illéan citizen." Could Wilder be chosen to represent Waverly in the competition? After all, who wouldn't want to take a shot at the chance of a lifetime?

Whether the timing is coincidental or not, fans of Play It Sane will hope the split won't mean the end of the show, or a mid-filming rewrite. Unless Wilder or Mendez make a comment, we may have to wait until the second season's press tour begins. Be sure to read The Angeles Daily for updates, and tune in to the Illéa Capital Report next Friday to watch thirty-five lives change forever. The Angeles Daily will provide full coverage of the telecast.