"Wa," my child pointed out his tiny finger towards the gardens.

"You want to go there?" I asked, with a wide smile. I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head before climbing down the stairs.

The past few months were me spending time with him as much as possible. Even at night, I found myself waking up and checking on him. Only after seeing him sleeping peacefully did I leave his chambers.

I did not like how we had to have separate rooms. Especially one that was too far away from mine. Laura wanted me to have bed rest for at least a few months until I recovered. That didn't stop me from feeding my child in secret.

Out of nowhere, Xavien began laughing.

"What is so funny, muffin?" I cooed, stepping on the snow carefully.

"Wa! Wa!" he shouted, pointing at the blue roses.

"I'll hold him if you want me to," Gillian offered.

"It's alright," I waved a hand before reaching the summer house. I walked towards the roses and showed them to Xavien. He leaned forward and clasped one of them with a death grip.

"You already have your toy with you," I chided, attempting to make him let go. But no, he had to be stubborn. Just like me. After pulling a few petals, he finally let go. I could sense that he wanted to keep them in his mouth and snatched the petals out of his hand.

"Why are you so strong?" I grunted, trying to open his fist.

"Like mother, like son," Gillian commented with a grin. "Laura told me that infants may look innocent, but they aren't. They can hold onto something fiercely."

"My baby is still innocent," I told him while remembering Xavien holding my little finger with a death grip. I wanted to stay with him like that but at the same time, I had some important work.

"Your Grace!"

I turned to find Karra and Lucy sprinting towards us. When they reached us, they began talking with Xavien in high-pitched voices. I could say that they've grown to care and be overprotective of him.

"Stop it," I laughed, kissing the top of his head. He looked confused about what was going on.

"Let's go inside, Your Grace," Lucy said, her smile too wide. Was something going on?

"Yes, yes!" Karra agreed and held my arm. "Both of you must be cold."

"I am here too, you know?" Gillian crossed his arms with red cheeks.

The girls held him by each arm and began dragging him into the castle, while he protested. I laughed at their silly antics and followed them.
.................................................................

"You look so happy, Merline." 

The woman looked up and started blushing. We were resting on the floor with Xavien playing with his toys on the woolen carpets made for him. He rolled from his back and flung his toy in front of him. When he wasn't able to reach it, his face turned small and I knew what followed after.

Even if I knew I was spoiling him, I also knew that he wouldn't remain a child for long. So I handed him the toy and he resumed chuckling.

"Nothing like that, Your Grace," she smiled, but it didn't meet her eyes.

Xavien rolled a bit too close to the fireplace so I pulled him back. "Your face is as red as your hair. Are you feeling unwell?"

She stopped sewing and kept the ring aside. "I'm just...happy that I'll see Marwin soon."