city of omashu

How and why Umeko was still in the rooms where Prince Zuko, General Iroh and Commander Zhao discussed the plans for the capture of the Avatar was beyond her

But even this time, as she entered the room and stood by the corner of the table, over looking the map that became the main focus, Prince Zuko didn't even bat an eye to her-caring not that she was in the room when delicate matters were being held.

General Iroh explained to her that even though she was young and new, she had skills and knowledge that were a fresh start on the ship, and since she came, the production of finding the Avatar has sky rocketed.
He also explained that with her abilities to not bend and yet understand so many fighting forms of the other Nations, Tribes and Kingdoms, she was an advantage that Prince Zuko did not have before.

"He could be anywhere." Prince Zuko shook his head slightly as Umeko leant over to look at the map and the red lines that showed no traces of the Avatar. "He was heading north when he left Kyoshi Island."

If the Avatar went all the way North, he would find himself with the Northern Water Benders, meaning that he was beginning his training on Water Bending.

"He'll need to stop for food and water. He may the Avatar, but he still needs to eat and drink." General voiced as he took a sip of his jasmine tea, a detectable choice that he brought into the room with him, and even set a cup aside for Umeko.

"The population centre then." Zhao beat Umeko to it just as she stretched out her hand to show Omashu city. It was closest and had very strict guidelines when it came to Fire Nation. "I can alert my contacts."

Zhao clearly never learned anything, and for some reason, although he was working under the Fire Nation and the Fire Lord, he had no respect for the royal family members that were in the room, save Umeko.

"No!" Zuko scoffed. "I told you, no one else can know of his existence!"

Zhao placed his tea on the bench next to him as he stood back up. "Understood. But, if I may...we have a window of opportunity as long as the Avatar remains in this area...if he gets too far North."

Umeko felt her eye twitching, never has her eye twitched before...this man, this Commander Zhao was going to be her wits end.
"The Fire Nation forces will find out about him." Umeko finished for Zhao, hoping that she maybe irritated him. She may be in the army, and he may be level above her own, but Umeko was still 16.

Zhao's eyes made contact with her own dark ones as he looked at Umeko through his eyebrows. Mission Accomplished. 
"Which is why I suggest you allow me to make contact with a few trusted sources. They don't need to be told anymore than necessary."

Prince Zuko looked up, seeking some advice in his uncle at the situation at hand. Umeko shifted in her stance, an idea popping into her head. She looked back up from the map and glanced at Prince Zuko.
"If I may..." She started, getting the attention of the men/ Prince Zuko in the room. "You could tell your sources about two water tribe siblings...I believe they're travelling with the Avatar, and where they go, he goes. It spreads no news about the Avatar himself."