chapter seven.

Today was the summer heat you expected to see in the valley of California. You could see the sweat on Benny, on everyone else. Even you had to switch to changing into a dress today! Because even those were less restrictive than pants and a shirt.

After the sleep over, Benny ordered everyone to go home, get a shower, whatever they had to do for an hour, and go back to the Sandlot as Squints and Yeah-Yeah went to buy a new ball.

And geez, waiting for thirty minutes felt like thirty hours. And no way were you drinking the disgusting pop from the cooler! Benny wouldn't take that for an answer.

"Oh great, you made your lover boy fetch you water like a king!" Ham groaned, "And the thing is, you're a girl!"

"I didn't want him to! He wanted to do it himself! I didn't ask for that!" You reply.

"Doesn't change the fact it's a burning sun out here." Timmy spoke.

"Yeah, a burning sun!" Tommy nods.

"Can't we plead to Benny to let us go to the pool? Is there a pool around here?" Scotty spoke.

"Yeah, but that's rare. We rarely even go there because that boy loves baseball so much." Kenny sighed.

"And it's so hot it got you to wear a dress again!" Bertram pointed out.

"Hey! I wore those pants because I thought it'd help me fit in. I'd happily play baseball in one if it didn't make it so dirty afterwards." You clarify.

"Totally." Bertram nods.

Kenny chuckled, "This situation is insane. I can't believe Lee got Benny so head over heels. Not in a million years would he dare to even buy us a soda pop from the gas station."

"Yeah, Benjamin's gotten all smitten." Timmy agreed.

"Yes, all smitten over you." Tommy points towards you, making you blush.

"I'm sure he's just being nice! He's probably just being a gentleman because I'm a girl!" You suggest.

"Man, how you gonna be sexist to yourself?" Kenny asked.

"You guys always are sexist...?" You recall.

"Yeah, because you don't care." Ham says. "I ain't never see you comment on it."

You self reflected at that moment. "Oh right." You realize. "Just don't do it to anyone else. I'll be a punching bag." You declare.

"Back to Benny." Bertram grins, "That boy likes-no, he loves you. It irks me!" He says. "Anytime you're far outfield he's always muttering about how much you've improved in baseball, or how much he liked how you did a certain thing that day."

"It's only been a week since I've been playing ball." You furrow your brows.

"Exactly!" Ham agreed.

"Oh god!" You gasp and your eyes widen, "He likes me, doesn't he?!" You turn to them.

"Yes! He does, you're blinder than Bertram!" Kenny yelled.

"Yeah! You're blinder than me if you couldn't see it!" Bertram laughed.

"Scotty, what do I do?!" You ask him.

"If you like him, go for it." Scotty advised, "You like him, don't you?" He asked.

"I...hm," you thought. "I'm not saying nothing." You decide, "You boys share gossip like it's baseball." You reasoned.

They all groan at your response. "I-what? No we don't!" Timmy states.