track 005

TRACK 005

flash forward

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES ♥ PRESENT DAY

Yunjin almost scoffed at the memory.

It was years later. Several years. Years Yunjin had totally, completely not been counting.

Okay, well. Eighteen years since Yunjin first met Chaewon. Eight years since Yunjin confessed and they started to date. Four years that the two had dated.

And finally, the whopper that always stabbed a giant sword through Yunjin's fragile heart, four years since they had lost touch, and Chaewon had flown right out of Yunjin's life.

Or rather, right through it, because she punched a whole so massive it took everything Yunjin had to sew it back together.

Even after four years, Yunjin would be, and had always been, in love with Kim Chaewon.

Yunjin was twenty-two now, legally old enough and everything, living in New York City with her roommate, fresh out of college. Yunjin had gone to NYU and majored in vocal performance, studying guitar, opera, and songwriting- her passions. Her studio apartment was fresh and pristine, and she loved city shopping. Her roommate was the most bubbly, sporty, excitable person to exist.

Nakamura Kazuha was a 20-year-old ("soon to be 21, unnie! I'm nearly as old as you!") enigma with an extreme taste for ballet, soccer, and potato chips. She was tall and fit, and very pretty, but the two had made it clear to each other they were friends to the end, and friends only. She was Yunjin's best friend.

They had met by chance. Kazuha had snuck into a club at age 19, while Yunjin had had to wrangle her way in at age 21, being freshly old enough to actually, legally get in. Kazuha had roped Yunjin into helping her by insisting that Yunjin was her older sister (although they really didn't look alike) and speaking to her in rapid Japanese, gesturing like she had to pick her up, and she was angry at Yunjin for staying too late.

In reality, although Yunjin's Japanese wasn't fantastic, she was asking for help, clearly shown from her repeated enunciation of help in Japanese.

"She's my sister, I swear, look. Just let me in for a few seconds, I have to pick her up. See, she can show you. Aneki, tasukete, kudasai. Let's go."

Yunjin blinked, and then flashed her most dazzling smile at the bouncer. She had made an effort to dress up tonight, wearing a short black dress and applying alluring eye makeup in an effort to attract. "Oh, konnichiwa. I don't want to go yet, though, they have this amazing drink, do you want to see?"

"I can't, he won't let me in," Kazuha sighed, looking at the bouncer, and then she pulled on her shirt as if frustrated. "We can always go another time, come on."

Yunjin's jaw nearly dropped as the fabric stretched tight against Kazuha's stomach. This girl had abs! Holy shit! It was clear the bouncer had noticed too, because he stammered, "Um- you can go in, I guess. Make it, uh, snappy. I guess."

Kazuha launched herself in with a winning smile, and Yunjin followed. They walked inside the club together, both laughing, clutching each other.