Part 7

Deelia floated in the pool of hot water. The steam rose and permeated the room, and her breathing was slow. She barely felt anything. That was good. She was feeling tired, and now she was doing what she could to heal.

Those elites didn't give her very much, did they? They had been doing their part of using her name and history to expand and develop stronger technologies and funding. She hadn't seen Kod in a while. He had sent her a letter that told her he was leaving. He didn't say anything about coming back to get her.

Deelia didn't even tell herself she was being forgotten. It was like her thoughts were slowing down, coming to a halt. Nobody was there for her any longer.

At least she had this bathtub. She must have been there for an hour or more, not keeping track of anything, disappearing. The elites let her do it. They didn't even check up on her. She could starve to death under their eternal gaze, apparently.

Deelia was feeling tired. She didn't sleep, though. It would take a different kind of sleep to ease her worries. She was contemplating Doht's escape. He promised her that she wouldn't have to worry about him, but she could never know. Gerra seemed to think otherwise, in fact. She didn't object to the offer, but she was aware of the danger.

Why didn't she object? Perhaps she was feeling this same weariness that Deelia felt. Life had been emptied. Something needed to change, and even all the wonders of the UPOA couldn't help.

There was only one person who had saved Deelia from an impossible trauma before. And she wasn't sure if he would come save her again. She needed to heal, but she could only do so passively. Well, if she died here in the bathtub, it wouldn't really matter, would it? It was the same either way. No need for any kind of saving.

She crawled out of the water and stood, her joints aching with every movement. She was slowly contemplating that escape. A part of her from weeks before screamed at her to go, but she just stood there, not wanting anything. No desire drove her onward.

She began to move, and the tiled floor was slippery. It annoyed her to proceed with such caution. Indeed, floating on the water and waiting for death was much easier. Why was she going through this trouble? It wouldn't do her any good.

But she would be saved.

Where would she go?

Away from here?

No, it didn't even matter. Nowhere was worth it anymore. What had happened to her?

Deelia turned around and almost fell. That set it in stone. It wasn't worth it to get out of here. It wouldn't be worth the trouble.

One more step was all it took for her to slip. There was fear, but it was whisked away by the comfort of knowing that she no longer dreaded what was to come. She no longer cared about what happened to her.

Someone caught her. She never hit the ground because someone was in the room with her and caught her in his arms, and when she looked up, at his face, she saw that it was Hau. Where had he been? Why did it take him so long to come back? Was he here on the Angels' behalf, or was he acting on his own? Either way, it was Hau, and he had Deelia's best interests in mind. It was like a real angel, not a member of the Angels of Dusk but a real, heaven-sent savior. In her darkest moments, Deelia was saved by him once again.

Hau placed her on her feet, wrapped her in a huge blanket, and took her hand.

Deelia finally found it within her to speak. "Hau!" she exclaimed.