69 : Forward Motion

Start from the beginning

"Well, then, a new form of Dalek. Fascinating." He hummed as he pushed his hands into his pockets, walking forwards towards the small plinth were the body of Mr Diagoras stood exemplifying his power. "And very clever."

"The cult of Skaro escaped your slaughter." Said the hybrid, almost smugly. It was interesting to see a Dalek creature with some emotion.

The Doctor only narrowed his eyes. "How did you end up in 1930?"

"Emergency Temporal Shift."

"Oh, oh... That must've roasted up your power cells, yeah?" The Doctor grinned playfully as he pulled at his ear, not minding anything as he meandered. "Time was, four Daleks could've conquered the world! But instead, you're sulking away, hidden in the dark... experimenting. All of which results... in you."

It was quick to remind. "I am Dalek in human form!"

"But what does it feel like?" This was how he played upon the minds of others; by asking what they truly wanted to hear. "You can talk to me, Dalek Sec- it is Dalek Sec, isn't it, that's your name? You've got a name, a mind of your own- tell me what you're thinking, right now."

"I... feel... humanity."

As it turned away in disgust, the Doctor became more amused. "Good, that's good."

"I feel... everything we wanted from mankind, which is..." It turned back to them. "Ambition... hatred, aggression. And war! Such a genius for war!"

"No." The Doctor shook his head firmly. "That's not what humanity means."

"I think it does!" The hybrid contradicted as EJ felt the hooves tighten around his body, encroaching on his capacity to breathe. "At heart, this species is so very Dalek."

"Oh, right!" The Time Lord loudened his voice, looking around, sticking his hands into his pockets. He looked good from the back. "So what have you achieved, then, with this Final Experiment, eh? Nothing! Cos I can show you what you're missing with this thing- a simple little radio."

"What is the purpose of that device?"

"Well, exactly, it plays music! What's the point of that?"

If he wasn't attempting to stay hidden, then EJ would have said a thousand things. Music gave him hope when he had none. And the one day he forgot it, perhaps the day he needed it most, was the day that Josh was born. Zoë hadn't wanted him inside of the hospital room, and he was thankful, because he couldn't have imagined being of much help. He was anxious enough as it was. But in the absence of music, a stranger, who's face he'd long forgotten, spoke to him.

Music was the sole of life. EJ was sure of it.

The Doctor's tone shifted suddenly. "Oh, with music, you can dance to it, sing with it, fall in love to it." The Thompson boy would have sworn there was a gentle glance his way. "Unless you're a Dalek, of course. Then it's all just noise."

He directed the sonic at the radio, quickly aware of the screeching which came from it. It malfunctioned. It burst into sparks and it ached as it pierced the air.

"Run!" The Doctor commanded them, and they did, glad that the pig slaves were so sensitive to the noise that they were forced to clutch their ears.