8 - a friend of animals

: ̗̀➛ 🦋 *ೃ༄ Freya Parker02:11

As Mike and Freya ventured deeper into the sanatorium, they encountered a room veiled by a thick, green privacy curtain. With cautious curiosity, Mke pulled back the curtain. Freya's face furrowed and Mike cursed.

''Holy shit,'' he said, leaning his head to look at the bloodied restraining chair.

''Why... just why is this place-'' Freya said, turning around. ''I'd rather stick with the documents... what the hell was this place up to? Is this why they closed it?''

As she whispered, Mike shrugged, shutting the curtain behind him.

''Let's move along. There are some rooms left... Let's hope they can offer us something better than this,'' Mike encouraged.

Undeterred by the grim discovery, they pressed on, their footsteps echoing through the empty halls. Eventually, they found themselves in a dimly lit morgue, the air heavy with the scent of decay.

''Should have guessed this would be here...'' Freya said, approaching one of the body drawers. Her fingers trembled slightly as she looked at Mike before pulling it open.

''What are you-''

''What do you think?'' Freya said, gulping before her arm pulled on the metal handle.

With a mixture of trepidation and fascination, Freya sighed, only finding an empty slot.

''Not all bad. See?'' she said nervously, urging Mike to follow his lead.

It seemed like he wasn't going to question her, as they both hoped to find something useful.

''A name tag...'' Mike said, having sifted through another corpse.

''Let me have a look,'' Freya said, walking to her left and taking it from Mike's hands. Her eyes scanned it carefully, but soon she placed it back. ''Nicholas Bowen... medical emergency... not surprised.''

Freya shivered again, as she continued to examine the room, soon stumbling upon another document. Even though she had a million questions, she wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

''A death certificate,'' she spoke, lightly waving the page at Mike, who seemed to be examining another body. ''About a woman... Sarah Smith.''

As Mike grunted, pulling on another metal handle, Freya continued to read, summarizing the document for him.

''It's horrible...'' she spoke quietly and walked up to him. ''Died in '52... again. Her... intestines were eaten, had... so much blood loss and... fingernail marks. It's- it's insane, Mike. What the hell happened here?''

Freya lowered the page and looked at him. Mike had yielded something useful. She could tell by his expression, even though it was almost as sorrowful as hers.

''This'll let us pass through,'' he said, tucking the security pass in his pocket.

''Good, ahh, I just-'' Freya said, stepping away from Mike backwards. ''I don't understand what the fuck is going on here...''

Her voice became a whisper, as they walked out of the room, and she continued to speak. Her whispers echoed against the dark staircase walls.

''I seriously think something... fucking weird happened here and that's why it shut down. I mean, no place like that can be... condemned if not for-'' Freya stopped herself, waving her hand around. ''This... this has to be connected, right? Why the hell is a place like this still so close to the lodge?

With a furrowed brow, Freya turned to Mike.

''What do you think?'' she wondered quietly.

Mike sighed and nodded gravely.