New York | Wunderbar, December 1868

INT. KIRK'S BOARDING HOUSE — LOWER PARLOR — NEW YORK CITY - DECEMBER 1868

A Christmas tree is set up in the parlor. Jo is over her plate of orange peel ornaments she had made, going over them. Friedrich is stringing popcorn for a garland while Franz and Emil are sitting beneath the tree, playing with candy canes.

JO
These oranges didn't turn out as good as we did back home. (she holds up an ornament made from dried orange. It is shaped like wreath) I don't recall the way Marmee did it exactly and I couldn't read her instructions clearly since I left the window open and it rained last night.

Friedrich looks up from his sewing. A smile grows on his lips.

FRIEDRICH
They look wonderful, Jo. (he nods) Sie sehen wunderbar aus.

JO
(slowly) Zey zin vunderbar ows. (raises the orange with a bow) Dankeshön.

Friedrich laughs, watching Jo try to hang the wreath high up in the tree. Even with her long limbs, she is unable to reach. Friedrich stood straight from leaning over his decor, walking over.

FRIEDRICH
Jo, it's 'Wunderbar.'

He tries to take the orange from her hand, but she won't budge until she gets the word right.

JO
(slower and quieter) Vundabar.

FRIEDRICH
(slower and in a whisper as he is very close to her) Wunderbar.

Jo tries to say it again a few times but notices how close they are. The phrase dies out in her mouth, their fingers brushing, noses close.

JO
(breathes out) Wunderbar.

FRIEDRICH
Good.

Friedrich nods but notices their closeness. He blinks, stepping back as he clears his throat.

FRIEDRICH
I am sorry, Jo. I did not realize—

JO
You are quite alright, Fritz.

Friedrich turns to hang the ornament, returning to his sewing, but his fingers are shaking slightly. Jo notices but says not a word. Her lips purse together as she continues to hang the ornaments, getting Franz and Emil to help. Friedrich keeps glancing up at her, smiling bittersweetly at her motherly gestures to the boys. 

Author's Note:

It's a short and sweet piece, but it does its duty. I wanted to write a romantic-ish scene between Jo and Bhaer that hasn't been done yet, but who knows if this will stay in the final. I wanted to write it while I was still reading Little Women and Moods. I just started both.