The Bhaers | Minna Passes Away, Spring 1863

INT. MINNA BHAER-HOFFMAN'S APARTMENT — NEW YORK CITY - 1862

At the window stands, PROFESSOR FRIEDRICH BHAER, a 26-year-old recent immigrant from Germany, staring blankly out of the window. Over his shoulder, THE DOCTOR exits Friedrich's sister's room, making his way over to the man at the window.

THE DOCTOR
(muffled and tuned out) Mr. Bhaer. (clearer) Mr. Bhaer.

FRIEDRICH comes to, turning to face the doctor.

THE DOCTOR (cont.)
(clears throat) A word.

The doctor gestures for Friedrich to follow him out. The camera pans over to two boys who sit on the side of the wall, the blank stares reminiscent of Friedrich's.

INT. APARTMENT — FOYER

The camera cuts to Friedrich and the doctor in the foyer.

FRIEDRICH
Have you been able to reach their father?

THE DOCTOR
(shaking his head) No. She did write this up, though.

The doctor hands Friedrich a piece of paper with messy handwriting etched onto it. Friedrich reads over it, face contorting with the pain of his sister's passing and the reality of the situation.

FRIEDRICH
She wants me to take them. I have not a job here.

THE DOCTOR
(sighs, clapping Friedrich on the back) Might need to get one quick unless you want to send your nephews to the orphanage—

FRIEDRICH
(immediately)
No! (beat) No, I could never do that to Minna or the boys. I will find a way. I did not go to university for nothing, no?

THE DOCTOR
The coroner can't make it until the morning. I propose you find a place for you and the boys unless you want to stay with her.

FRIEDRICH
I see.

The doctor leaves, leaving Friedrich in the foyer, the paper in his hands. He reads over each letter, unable to fully register it all. He sets his face determined and returns to the room with his nephews.

FRANZ, 3 years old, sits on the chair with EMIL, 1, in his lap.

FRIEDRICH
(kneeling before FRANZ) Franz, are you well?

FRANZ
(nodding) Da, Uncle Fritz. Is Mutter alright?

FRIEDRICH
(pats boy's head, placing finger under Emil's chin) She is alright now. Let us go.

Picking up Emil in his arms, he takes Franz's hand and they leave the apartment.