Lilacs, Poppies, & Mistakes

so remember ' is it tacky to wear white '

yeah i hated it

SOOO I REWROTE :D

~

Grian had to say, he looked stunning in his dress.

That's right, it's finally the day of the wedding. Morning light filters through the Center Tree's roots, which intertwined to create Grian's changing room. Somehow, bubbly excitement fills him. Over the three months Grian had spent here, he'd made so many friends, even just by staying in the castle!

Right now, Grian's fate seems amazing. Sure, he still despises the actual kingdom, but he can just stay hidden away in the castle, surrounded by new-found friends and going for morning flights. Scar wasn't that bad, but Grian wasn't exactly friends with him..

It'd be an interesting marriage.

Right, he's getting married. Why is this choosing to dawn on him now? Grian's bliss is replaced by panic, but thankfully, Pearl's been helping him get dressed and notices his switch.

" Woo, Grian, what happened?"

" Pearl, Pearl, I'm getting married."

" Yes?"

" But, like, like married married."

Grian knew his wings had tightened from the heart shape they normally folded in, curling against his spine. Pearl touched one, starting to run her fingers through it. The action was instantly calming.

" Oh Grian, I know it's stressful, but Scar is a great guy. You'll be ok, right?"

Grian nodded, despite feeling anything but ok. Pearl stopped her combing, looking up at the clock.

" It's almost starting! Ok, I needa get to my seat. Grian,"

She took his hands, forcing the spare to look at her.

" You can do this. It's just two little words, and then everything's over."

Grian took a deep breath, nodding, and Pearl waved goodbye.

Now alone, Grian adjusted his silly little poofy dress, with its gorgeous lace flowers, looking up at the clock.

..

3 minutes to go. Ok, Grian can do that. The time ticks away as Grian questions his fate. He'll do the initial marriage part, the party ( oh god's), then he can collapse on his nest and become a shut-in for a few days. Sure, he may have to go make appearances, but those could be delayed. After that .. incident with the rabbit & the ribbon (oh god, the ribbon..), Grian knew Scar would do his best to cater to his husband's desires.

2 minutes, now.

Grian would be fine, right? Scar wasn't as childish as he'd previously seemed, so Grian can't be that worried (whatif he finds you.. whatif they find you? It's not very safe outside, especially being paraded around..) Scar could protect him, the Hermits could protect him.

1 minute.

Time seems to slow, as Grian instead investigates the past. Blood splatters, fire, safety.. Brilliant purple, oh, horribly brilliant purple.

..

The music starts. That's his cue. Grian takes a single step, shuddering. He takes another, and another. He approaches the door wearily, reaching out slowly for the door. It opened smoothly, truly a root to be moved.