~the trail of an aura darker than his own~

eleven

Far, far away from the laughing duo was an idiotic Cold One pacing the family living room, his golden eyes downcast as his thoughts bounced off each other, trying to think of a solution.

But he could think of nothing. Because he was an idiot.

"What do we do?" His voice pleading, "What can we do? I won't let this happen to her!" Edward's gaze turned to his father, begging for an answer.

Carlisle, calmly and collected, shook his head. He knew the outcome should the boy try to interfere, "There's nothing that can be done. If the Hellhound's heart has chosen Isabella as his soulmate, there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do to take her away from him. Once the Beast of Hellfire has placed her on their Sacred Altar and he performs the specific ritual, it will change her very being. Isabella shall age to the absolute peak of her strength and beauty, of which will multiply immensely."

The Doctor rubbed his brow, all eyes of his children on him. Esme sat beside him, sitting as close as possible so she could rub his back to comfort him.

"Immortality will quickly follow because her life force and her soul immediately latch onto his, the two basically becoming one..." the old vampire murmured, distracted as his golden eyes were glazed over and his face was full of wonder and awe. Simply recalling all he'd read in the catacombs of the Volturi about Dark Creatures, "It's entirely impossible to break the connection between the Beasts of Fire and their Soulmates. And those that try... You, me, none of us, Edward, can do anything."

Carlisle didn't know what to feel at this moment.

Maybe relief, sorrow, guilt, but right now, with the full moon so close... he wished Isabella luck and safety. She would need it if she wasn't ready.

The eldest Cold One looked at his daughter.

Alice, she too, was deep in her thoughts, thinking of what might have happened if they had never left Forks...

He truly believed the Beast still would have appeared in Isabella's life.

Edward snapped his head around to glare at the small, pixie like girl, his teeth bared with a light growl rippling through his throat, an obvious threat to stop whatever she was thinking.

Jasper, who was standing next to his mate, showering her with all the waves of love and tenderness he could to stop her pain, straightened his spine, towering a good two feet over the idiot, squared his shoulders and took one step forward. The dark blond's eyes were pitch black and his mouth was pulled up into a snarl.

The Texan's swift movements made everyone tense up, knowing the Major was more than capable of ripping Edward to pieces.

"Will she even be human?" A voice, soft and concerned, from someone who originally was not a big fan of Bella, Rosalie feared for the eighteen year old girl they had left behind like an abandoned puppy.

"No..." The patriarch of the Cullen Coven ran his fingers through his usually well kept, pale blond hair. Carlisle thought it was obvious. He sighed through his nose, "They, the Creatures of Death, almost always find their soulmates in humans, young and old. The old tome I read noted that, after being... 'sacrificed' on the Altar, that was the word used, the Beast's hellfire eats away at their humanity, their mortality, their very being, turning them into Hellhounds as well. That's what makes the soul bond, the entwining of their hearts so unbreakable. I know there's three different rituals... I'm not sure of the other two, I only know of the soul mates and the Altar."

Carlisle took Esme's other hand from her lap and held it tight, as he closed his eyes. He definitely needed comfort. Swallowing, he shifted slightly, almost uncomfortable, "The Altar is practically impossible to find. No one but the Hellhounds or those in the know, know where it is."

Edward, the idiot, finally sat down but dropped his face into his hands as silence flooded the room.

"So... Bells... won't be... our Bells anymore?" Emmett's sad mumbles cut through the quiet like a dull knife, his massive shoulders drooping. A sullen looking Rose cuddled into his side before she gently pressed a soft kiss to his jaw. The blonde laid her head on his bicep as a depressed expression spread across his face.

Carlisle sighed once more and stood up, pulling Esme with him, ready to return to his office. He glanced at each of his children, looking them each in the eye. The Cold One shook his head slowly as the cold flames of fear began to spark in his, "Isabella will be stronger, more powerful, more confident and when she shifts... be bigger than the wolves," he pulled his mate closer to him, "She most definitely won't be our Bella... Much less ours."

~~~

Casimir bobbed his head to the music practically screaming from his earbuds, rocking on his air guitar and shaking his shoulders side to side like the old rock and roll fan he was. The dirty blond demon was following the trail of an aura darker than his own. Familiar, but darker.

That was how he gonna find the Hellhound. 

Darkness attracts the darkness, and oh boy, this one... it was revving his engine.

The full moon was on its way and there just might be a 'party' with his name on it. A wide, excited grin stretched across Casimir's grin, so he was dancing his way there through the shadows.

He was close.

He'll be there soon.