thirty-four. old faces

we are here to unveil your truth

❝ we are here to unveil your truth ❞

☽ .* ・ 。゚

THE WALLS AROUND Katie began to close in with her reflections in the mirrors intimidating her in all corners of the room. Her breathing hitched as she lost her footing and fell down onto the floor below. "What- What are you talking about?"

"You call yourself a friend of the Doctor, but you have lied from the very beginning." The room began turning again for Katie to use the walls as support as she attempted to stand back up. The constant movement of the room made it difficult as she constantly fell again and again. The reflection ignored her escape attempt as they continued to speak to her. "You will remember your secrets; you cannot run forever."

In that moment she got her balance again, managing to get up and begin running away from the reflection speaking to her. She had no sense of where to go other than she needed to be as far from the figure as possible. Her mind raced at what they had told her, being too preoccupied in her own safety to have the time to reflect on it. Her hands hit the wall she was turning into for her to slam her hand on the mirror in frustration.

The reflection shifted its eyes to her for Katie to jump in surprise. Seeing as she was cornered she thought there was no use in turning back. The maze had a way of catching up with those it sought its attention towards. All she hoped was that it wouldn't become anything detrimental. "So, what do you get from this? Besides scaring me as much as you have, that I'll give you credit for."

"We are here to unveil your truth. We are here to show you what you are avoiding to see yourself."

Katie had some thoughts on what the mirror was talking about. This wasn't the first time the experiments were mentioned but it had been something she'd blown off as a threat. Her life had been difficult before the Doctor, that was true, but not anything that had been to those extremes. Then again, she had a hard time remembering it all anyway.

"I'm not avoiding seeing anything, I don't even know what you're talking about. I don't keep secrets, especially from the Doctor."

The reflection paused as she felt a sick feeling even as she said this. Katie felt there was a memory she couldn't bring up that would've been able to solve her fuzziness but nothing came to mind. "You know what we are saying is true. That is why you're asking. You've had these questions before." She didn't know how to respond to this which was taken advantage of by her foe. "You are the enemy."

Tearing up at the comment she choked on what words she was able to say. At this moment the reflection took advantage of this, swarming the space with several comments that dissolved as she covered her hands over her ears. "Hart? Hart!" Looking up the Doctor placed his hands on her cheeks to look her over. Seeing his worried look he brushed her tears off as she clutched onto him tightly grateful to see him. "You're okay, you're okay."

Repeating it to her still didn't allow for the feeling to complete subside as Katie clutched onto his jacket tightly. Lifting her head as he continued to hold her she attempted to speak to him for answers. "What are those things?"

"Speculo are said to inhabit the mirrors but were reported to be non-threatening so I don't understand what made them act like this."

"So, there's something on the other side of mirrors?"

The Doctor looked to her confused by this question as if it were an obvious answer. "Of course there's something on the other side of mirrors? There are always things lurking in any given space."

Judging by the way they said this they didn't understand the comment only made her more nervous as she let out a laugh at his answer. "Well that's wonderful actually, thanks for that."

"Not all mirrors of course but it is most of them."

"Oh, that makes it a lot more bearable, thank you." At this the ground beneath them shifted for the pair to join hands as the Doctor led the way. From his understanding the maze continuously changed as part of its entertainment standpoint, meaning the Speculo are able to take advantage of this when leading patrons to them directly. "They fed on the patrons?"

"Not necessarily, more on their image and their insecurities." The couple hit a dead zone for the Doctor to scan the mirror for a way to separate an opening for them again. Looking around her, Katie felt her worries returning again and slammed against the mirror. Noticing her do this the Doctor attempted to pull her away. "They'll open eventually. If you react to them it'll only be worse."

She held his hands tightly, focusing on the Doctor's words instead of everything else around her. "They told me things—"

Taking her head he lifted her gaze up to him instead as she attempted to catch her breath. "They're doing it to provoke you, do you understand?" It took a moment for Katie to nod to him as the Doctor smiled to her. Feeling herself relieve the tension that had arose from the situation he kissed her forehead softly. Looking around them he urged her to look as well to see an opening that came out for them. "Just needed to give it time."

Even with their escape, Katie turned back hesitantly to where they were. She wondered if the Doctor knew what they had told her. If he had heard their comments or already had questions himself. "The things they say, the reflections, they're not true?" He turned back to her confused as she looked away from his gaze. "I mean, it's to intimidate, right? There's no truth to it."

Leading her back in the direction to the TARDIS, he stayed quiet for a moment which didn't settle easily with her. "No, they don't necessarily. They emulate the ideas of yourself and personify that, everything comes from what was already there. Obviously people think of themselves one way but that isn't the true picture."

Katie nodded, but had an understanding there was more than what the Doctor was telling her. Her friend had a tendency to lie that she didn't find hard to figure out. Not wanting to press for answers this time given the circumstances she only went along with it. "What did it show you? What goes through the deepest parts of your mind?"

"Oh, I don't get tricked so easily. It's impossible really." His eyes told an entirely different story, showing a sadness that Katie was able to read easily. The Doctor didn't allow themselves to open up to her and she didn't expect them too. She could only imagine it, letting it pass with time her desire to know what these answers were. Pushing for the Doctor to share his secrets was as impossible as the alien in question.

"We don't dwell, Hart. We don't like dwelling right?"

Holding onto the doors of the TARDIS she agreed. "No, definitely don't. We do love a good adventure though, let's just settle with that?"

The Doctor nodded, pushing them open as he gave her a wide-grin. "Now that we do." Following after him Katie turned back to the iridescent building in the distant again. She didn't understand what was being warned or what she was keeping from herself. Seeing the Doctor waiting for her at the console room, Katie put this off. For the time being it was a tactic they had used against her and she was able to convince herself to dismiss it with that in mind.