chapter twenty-eight

Start from the beginning

4:56p.m
do not answer: I am so fucking sick of you, willow. i fucking raised you for eighteen of your life and you can't even help me now that I need you? who the fuck do you think you are you are absolutely nothing.A nobody. that school will get you fucking nowhere.

7:23 p.m
do not answer: A friend told me they saw you hanging out with a bennett? Good for you, daughter. Are you using her? Take all the money we need from them will you? I knew i could trust you.

do not answer: Be careful, he also told me she's a dyke, like her stupid mothers. Told you to marry rich but not a woman ur better than that. ur not a lesbian.

7:33 p.m
sums: we don't have to talk about it but can you tell me if you're okay? i miss you.
sums: we're going to blues tonight if you want to come. bring your friend :)

Tears threaten to fall from my eyes, making my vision blurry and I look up to the midnight blue sky.
Summer is an angel in human form. So kind, so patient, so sweet and beautiful, and the texts from my mom are a reminder why I shouldn't have kissed her, why I shouldn't even be her friend, for that matter. I am not using Summer, I am not taking money from her, I'm not– and I want to tell all those things to my mother. I want to tell her to fuck off for disrespecting Summer that way. I want to tell her go to go hell, I want to tell her to not speak to me ever again. But, she knows where to find me, and now she knows I'm hanging out with Summer Bennett– she knows that I know the Bennett family. My heart races in my chest as my breath becomes irregular. What can she do with that information?

I don't know how long I stare at the message on my phone but soft footsteps bring me back to reality. I immediately look for the sound, thinking is some kind of perv and now it's time to go home, but I'm met with the warmest brown eyes I've ever seen in my life, almost pleading as they stare down at me.
Her joined hands hang in front of her skirt. She's showing off so much skin that makes something I can't name burn in my chest. When I touched her last night, it felt like I was touching a cloud. Her skin is so fucking smooth that I could get lost in it. She's smaller than me but her legs can go for days, so pale and small and pretty and– I broke her.
She's looking at me with so much hurt that I can't stand it. She raises one hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, I want to do that, and then a long sigh leaves her pretty mouth.

"Can I sit?" she whispers in the quiet night. It's not– absolutely nothing is quiet.
I can hear the loud music from the bar, the wet kisses from people near me, the loud chattering but when she's near me, everything is quiet. Everything is peaceful. Everything is safe.
My lips part, to say yes, but no sound comes out of me so I simply nod, making room for her in the small bench. Her arm brushes against mine, sending a shock of electricity on my body. I'm pretty sure she feels it too, due to the small gasps that leaves her lips.

"You've been avoiding me." she sounds sad, we're both looking down at our laps. She's playing with her fingers and tapping her foot on the ground. I've noticed that is her nervous trait and I want more than nothing to make her feel comfortable again.
I remember my phone is still on, her chat in the screen so she probably saw I was reading her texts. "Willow, talk to me." she pleads.

"I don't know how." I whisper, bringing my face up to face her. She's wearing a little bit of make up– not that she needs it but she looks so extremely beautiful.

The corner of her mouth lifts softly. "You just did." her nose wrinkles as she bites the inside of her cheek to keep herself from smiling.