Episode Thirteen

Ana is walking with Lucy into working, sharing gossip on some couple in IA when Nolan comes over with Jackson following him. He starts talking about how he invited Grace over for dinner.

"So, what are you gonna cook her?" Lucy asks.

"Couple of big-ass steaks and a lovely baked potato." Nolan replies with a smile.

"Definitely sounds like American food," Ana agrees, softly.

"What?" Nolan asks, seeing Jackson and Lucy's looks.

"You know we're in L.A.? She's at least a pescatarian." Jackson says.

"And she definitely doesn't eat carbs." Lucy adds.

"So, no potato?" Nolan questions.

"Your safest bet is a kale salad with a nice piece of salmon." Lucy suggests.

"I love salmon," Ana smiles, softly.

"Man, food used to be so easy. There was only two kinds -- fried and other." Nolan complains.

"Okay, Grandpa." Jackson teases.

Tim walks over, giving a nod to Ana before turning to Nolan.

"There's a lawyer at the front desk for you, boot" Tim says.

"Uh oh, what'd you do?" Lucy asks.

[Timeskip]

Tim and his girls are walking into the roll call room, seeing Smitty wearing a sash that says "Mr. Irrelevant" while being applauded by other officers.

"What's going on?" Lucy asks with Ana furrowing her eyebrows.

"We're celebrating Smitty's last day as Mr. Irrelevant. The sergeants exam happens once every two years. Whoever scores the lowest gets called Mr. Irrelevant 'cause they got no chance at getting promoted." Tim explains.

"So, if this is Smitty's swan song, that means the new scores are gonna be posted soon." Lucy realizes.

"When are they gonna be posted?" Ana asks, softly.

"Tonight." Tim replies.

"That's exciting. You're gonna do great." Lucy grins.

"You got this" Ana agrees, softly.

"No doubt." Tim agrees.

"All right. Party's over. So, Officer Smitty -- these past two years, you have handled your irrelevance with the poise and dignity I expect from a man of -- of little ambition." Grey says, starting roll call.

"Thank you, sir." Smitty replies with a flourish.

"To business. Today is Follow-Up Day. Detectives have several cases that are on the edge of being back-burnered. You're gonna take the day to see if you can breathe new life into them. So, Bradford, Nolan and Chen, you have a three-day-old home invasion. The victim is a former gang member, Nevin Cooper. No forensics, no suspects." Grey assigns.

"We're on it, sir." Lucy nods.

"Lopez and West, you're going to Hancock Park. A statue was stolen from a homeowner's front yard." Grey says, giving Jackson a photo of said statue.

"It looks like a giant turd." Jackson squints at the photo.

"Well, that "turd" is worth a half a million, so track it down." Grey replies.

"Yes, sir.

"Which brings me to Cabrera and Harper," Grey says, turning to Ana, who gives him a smile.

"Actually, sir, Robbery Homicide requested that Officer Cabrera and I follow up on one of their cases." Harper interrupts.

"And how much did you pay for them to request that?" Grey asks, raising an eyebrow.