Chapter 7: Unstable

I was wrecked with worry for Caelus. I couldn't get the sight of glass sticking out of his hand out of my mind. It reminded me of the day I ran in to save him, the day I died in the temple, the months I spent half-starved on the streets... Leila didn't leave my side for the first whole twenty four hours, insisting on sleeping on a pallet by the fire though I insisted she share the monstrously large bed with me. I felt bad, but I couldn't force her. I was too busy trying to ignore the thoughts swirling around my head. Was Caelus really alright? Would he try to take his life again?

Clairice came to check on me and sent various maids up throughout the days with tea, snacks, and light meals. Leila made sure I took a bite of each one. After I had recovered my mind a bit, I was touched by their concern and attentiveness for a mistress they barely knew. Clairice also brought me news of Caelus.

"The physician said the wound is very minimal. Most of the damage is in his lordship's mind," She paused and crouched down to my level- I had been lying on the bed- and continued in a soft, motherly voice that made me want to cry from how gentle it was.

"But the Master will be alright, he will. The physician says with time and rest he'll be up and working as usual, like he was before. Please don't worry too much for him, my lady. Let your heart rest, he will be fine" and to my surprise, she broke propriety even more by gently brushing my hair off my face. She placed her hand on mine and gave it a squeeze.

I started crying as soon as she left, even though I was relieved to hear that Caelus was physically OK. Clairice had reminded me so much of my own mother that I suddenly, desperately, horribly missed my parents. I've been in this world for almost two and a half years- two and a half years with no hope of returning to my family and friends and a whole new world I had to get used to.

Leila climbed into bed with me and cradled my head in her lap as I sobbed into her skirt. In my heart I truly knew that Caelus wasn't badly hurt, but Clairice had opened up an old wound I'd been patching by helping Caelus. Crying helped. Leila, bless her soul, didn't ask any questions. She must have thought me a little crazy to be so upset over an incident I had been told wasn't all that bad- I know I do a little, looking back on it, though I try to avoid the thoughts I had at the time.

She just comforted me, and when I was done had one of her assistants bring me a large mug of hot chocolate. It even had whipped cream on the top. I was sipping on it and staring out at the garden when Uros knocked and came in.

"My lady," he greeted with his usual sweeping bow. "I come with good news!"

I'm not sure if his smile seemed forced because I was just recovering from an emotional breakdown, or if he was purposely trying to appear happy, but I accepted the gesture as the kindness it was.

"I could use some good news," I croaked, my voice hoarse from crying. "What is it?"

Uros beamed even more brightly, "They caught the thief! The same one who had been terrorizing the palace!"

That made me really smile.

"The Crown Prince and Princess will have to believe me now!" I said. "Thank you for telling me, Uros." I turned back to the window and froze.

"My lady?" Leila's worried voice. "What's wrong?"

Uros came over next to me, concerned. I pointed out the window towards the distant gardens. "It's Caelus!" It was the first time I had seen him since the glass-punching incident. I watched him as he slowly made his way around a large planter of colorful flowers. He was stiff and every movement seemed to cost him considerable effort. Then suddenly he was clutching his chest, leaning over and falling to one knee.

I screamed "Caelus!" and dropped my (empty) mug. Together, Uros, Leila and I ran from my rooms and down the stairs to the front garden. I reached him first, throwing my arms around his shoulders to steady him. I heard Uros yell to Leila, "Get the physician!" and he came over and helped me steady Cael on his feet. He was breathing heavily, still clutching his chest as we sat him down on a nearby bench. Uros hurriedly took off his butler's coat and covered the Marquis with it. I belatedly noticed that Caelus was only in a thin dressing gown, which didn't leave much to the imagination... I blushed and looked away. But may I say the man has some great pecs, even after a month of bed rest.