Chapter 6: Madam Harmonia

I traveled to the teahouse with only my bodyguard to drive the carriage. I didn't want too many people to know where I was going. Clairice had agreed with me to keep it quiet, so not even Leila and her assistants knew where I was heading, only that I had gone out.

The doorman was visibly surprised when I stepped out of the carriage. It wasn't the Marquis' official carriage, but the color and style was unmistakably from his manor. He still bowed low when I approached and opened the door for me. I was then warmly greeted by a teenage girl in an apron, obviously an employee of the teahouse.

"Welcome! How may I help you today?"

"I am Marchioness Hestia. I sent a message earlier, and would like to meet with Madam Harmonia in private to speak of it."

The girl's eyes widened at my title. "O-oh, um. Yes, just a moment please!" and with a quick curtsey she ran from the foyer. I smiled. At least I could expect speedy service from the staff!

A moment later, a woman entered the foyer of the teahouse from a side door. She had her hem lifted ever so delicately in her hand, and every measured step made her seem like the paragon of grace and propriety. Madam Harmonia.

I opened my mouth to greet her, but she held a finger to her lips. She waited until she had approached as closely as our dresses would allow before whispering,

"Marchioness, welcome!"

I whispered back, "Madam, I am sorry to show up so suddenly after my letter. May we speak in private?"

"Yes, please. Follow me, and be careful. We are currently hosting a small party."

I nodded and followed her through the archway she had appeared through. We entered a wide hallway lined with archways, opening on cozy rooms with tables and chairs for taking tea. I could see that each room had a large window overlooking a beautiful garden as we walked down the middle. I soon realized that it wasn't a wide hallway we walked, but a larger area meant for mingling between the rooms. A few of the rooms were full of chattering nobles and I was very glad for my wide-brimmed hat as we passed by, tilting it to hide my face from curious eyes.

Madam Harmonia led me into a room at the far back of the teahouse. The noise from her patrons was instantly silenced when she shut the door, and as soon as she did she whirled to face me, face lit with excitement.

"Marchioness! My Lady, I had just read your letter and was about to respond," She floated over to a gilded chair and sat, gesturing at me to sit in a similar one across from her. I sat.

"I am glad you received my letter, and I apologize for rushing over here right after. But I hope you forgive me, for I am desperate for your help and embarrassed to ask, so I came here immediately to discuss it face-to-face." I glanced up at her, the picture of innocence.

Harmonia liked Diana because she was taken in by her humility and honesty. I would use those same tactics to gain the Madam's favor.

"Oh, but surely a woman of your stature! Coming here, for help!" Her eyes were filled with admiration.

I smiled at her, a little one. "I came here for your help because I am not prepared for my title. I am from a common background and have only recently been adopted into the nobility. And while I have interacted with high society it has been nothing like what I'm expected to do now. Cael and I married so suddenly, and since then I have found that I have many shortcomings. You were highly recommended as someone kind who would be able to refine someone as rough as myself."

Was that laying it on too thick? But no, her eyes now glistened, her hand over her mouth.

"My poor dear, coming here!" Her other hand moved to rest on her heart.