Chapter 2: Getting Married

The butler was waiting for me. He stood at attention, the very picture of a perfect servant. Back straight with hands clasped, he seemed much younger than his pale hair and wrinkled face would suggest.

I sat on the same couch as before. "Did you hear what we said, dear butler?" I'm already very fond of this man. So respectful. Incredibly astute and capable- and he cared for Caelus as much as I did.

A polite shake of the head "No, my lady, I did not hear anything."

"Then do I have a tale for you- may we speak now?"

He bobbed his head, "Of course, my lady. But I ask for your understanding and patience, as I must call someone to sit and watch Master Caelus to prevent... something like this from happening again."

I waited on the couch as he tugged a cord hidden in the wall. Within moments, a servant appeared at the door. The butler whispered to him and to my surprise, he left. A moment later a different servant entered, possibly sent by the last one? As the butler whispered in his ear, I saw the man's face pale and his eyes grew wide. He exchanged a few hushed words with the butler, then suddenly turned towards me. He bowed deeply, held it, then stood, literally clicked his heels together, then marched into Caelus' room without another word. The door clicked behind him as it closed, and the butler and I were again left alone. I almost laughed out loud- who in this world clicked their heels like that? It looked ridiculous.

"Now, my lady, I must ask for more of your patience. Please follow me to a room where we will be able to speak without disturbing the Marquis."

I stood and followed the butler out the antechamber and down the hall to an empty sitting room in front of a set of double doors. It was slightly less fancy than Caelus' chambers, but instead of being blue and white it was pale yellow and deep blue. I felt like a matching accessory, my dress the exact shade of yellow as the rug.

The butler motioned me to sit on a richly hued blue couch. I sat. He stayed standing, eyeing me as politely as he could manage.

"Dear butler, please sit." I implored him, "We are beyond social formalities tonight. It is late and I am tired, as I imagine you are."

He chuckled, "This old butler will not dare to argue with you, my lady," and he sat on the couch across from me. I smiled at him. While I had been living in "high society" for years, I was still uncomfortable with treating other people as lesser than myself. The air felt lighter now that we were eye level with each other.

"I'll start by introducing myself," I started. "I am Hestia, adopted daughter of Baron Elea."

It was the aristocratic title I had bought myself that first week for the sole purpose of following the main characters around in the story. The barony itself was nothing more than a couple of uninhabited mountains on the far edge of the country. Lord Elea was in fact a very poor man and our contract had been a mutually profitable one.

"I'm glad to know the name of my master's savior. I thank you again, Lady Hestia," He somehow managed a respectful bow while seated. I waved him up.

"You might not feel as grateful when you hear what I did next!" I gave a tense smile.

Curious, he raised an eyebrow "Whatever do you mean, my lady?"

With a deep breath for courage, I explained to him all that happened between Caelus and myself.

"... and so he told me to discuss the matter of me becoming the marchioness with the butler. And here we are."

A stunned silence. One beat- another, then, "You really asked him that?"

Oh how I wanted to cringe from embarrassment, but I couldn't. Be confident, Hestia.

"I did. I want you to know I'm not trying to take advantage of his lordship, but I don't want this to ever happen again. I need the authority as a marchioness to accomplish that goal. So, I directly asked him."