Chapter 9 - Vexation

The wind led me to an illuminated area: the bright lights of the ramp leading to the garage. The opposite direction of the parked vehicles... was the surface. My escape. I was sitting inside the air duct, peering through the thin cracks of the grate as I heard murmuring. Nighttime guards were milling around, chatting and looking obviously bored. The moment I would try and leave the vent, they would spot me.

Thinking strategically, it became painfully obvious that I would simply have to book it. They were armed with heavy guns, but if I have Uroboros cover my body correctly, I could use it to block the bullets. Taking a deep breath, I channeled the virus, covered my body, and kicked the vent door.

The grate went flying, slamming against the face of a guard and knocking him out cold. The others immediately shot up, jarred by the loud noise and commotion. All of their attention was turned towards me and they opened fire. I immediately applied Uroboros within my legs in order to strengthen my muscles and propel me forward. I bound up the ramp of the garage, sprinting towards the exit as gunshots erupted around me, hitting the floor next to me or my body.

As I ran, I could smell fresh air becoming more and more clear. Sirens were going off. Guards began to follow behind me, and I saw more and more gather up ahead at the end of the ramp. The hulking garage-like door made of steel was closing rapidly; I had very little time.

Several guards would attempt to attack me directly, in which I tried to keep them away without doing any lethal damage or killing them. They shouted and cursed and shot at me, though it was no use. The garage door nearly closed, and I had to do what I feared most: kill.

A line of guards were between me and the door that was closing, and the gap was growing smaller. They refused to budge, and I had to punch, kick, and toss my way through their line. Many of the men cried out in intense pain or had their limbs perforated by the Uroboros tendrils surrounding my body. The door nearly was closed entirely, thus I leapt for it, sliding on the ground and under the door into freedom.

༻︶𓏶︶༺

Immediately upon crawling under the door and standing up, I stared up at the sky, frozen despite my need to continue running. I hadn't felt or seen the outside world in... months? Time was difficult in confinement. However, I inhaled the breeze, consuming the fresh cool night air and staring at the trees rustling across from me. My heart still pounded with the excitement of being free.

There was a dirt road in front of me, with a forest on one side, and the entrance to the underground facility on the other. I began to walk along the road, but I heard a clamor erupt from the facility, so I quickly began to run.

I ran for miles. There was no human structure in sight. Simply trees, grass, dirt, birds, and the occasional firefly. These began to disappear as the sun began to rise, however.

I began to feel tired and considered stopping to rest when I heard a low hum behind me. I turned towards the way I came and saw several vehicles--namely large black ones, such as SUVs and humvees--barreling in my direction. Knowing I couldn't be followed, I quickly switched my direction and ventured into the forest, away from the path. I wasn't sure whether or not they could find me here, but perhaps they would drive by without looking.

My thoughts were answered by an even louder hum, almost like a helicopter. Shit. It was a helicopter.

Through the cover of the trees, I caught glimpses of it as it soared above. This went on for hours as I carefully picked my away through the brush, and to my despair, the forest ended. That means that any helicopters above would likely spot me the moment I leave. The forest edge opened up into a large field, and I saw rural housing and farmland ahead. Beyond that: large buildings.