𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Destination weddings are a nightmare; a never-ending cycle of expenses and obligations. As a member of the wedding party, you are expected to foot the bill for everything - the dress or tux, a gift for the couple, expensive bachelor/bachelorette parties. And that's just the beginning. Flights and hotels add to the financial burden, along with shoes, jewelry, makeup and hair if you're a bridesmaid. But when your childhood friend asks you to be a part of her special day, you can't say no...even when you find out that your 20+ year friendship doesn't secure you the coveted position of Maid of Honor. No, that title apparently goes to some college friend and sister to the groom. The betrayal stings like a thousand paper cuts on an open wound.

Calista's heart pounds in her chest as the plane descends towards the Greek islands. Her fear of heights makes flying an unbearable experience, and she finds herself gripping the armrests tightly as the wheels touch down on the runway. She had already endured over 12 hours on this flight, and every minute has felt like torture. As she makes her way through the crowded airport, her senses are overwhelmed by the sounds and smells of a foreign country. The anticipation of finally reaching her destination keeps her going as she follows the chaotic flow of people towards the baggage carousel. Weary and disoriented, she stands among the throngs of travelers, watching bags of all shapes and sizes whizzing past her.

"It reminds me of hungry goldfish at feeding time, each person poised to pounce on their own bag as it appears on the rotating belt..." A deep, velvety voice whispers amusingly beside her in a soft English lilt, causing her to stifle a giggle. She turns her head to the right and finds herself face-to-face with a tall, strikingly handsome man. His soft brown eyes sparkle with mirth and his full lips are pulled up into a mischievous smirk. Dimples grace his cheeks, adding to his charm.

"Cute," she remarks, nodding in approval as she watches him chew on the corner of his mouth. She can't help but feel her cheeks flush a rosy pink under his gaze, feeling both flattered and bashful at the same time. "Excuse me," she mutters, noticing her bag as she hears the man's phone ring.

Glancing back at the man, she finds him watching her while chatting on the phone. He tosses her a smirk and a small head nod, sending a shiver of excitement through her stomach. She can't help but bite her lip as she turns away, making her way out of the busy airport. A sleek black car is waiting for her, and she eagerly settles into the plush backseat, finally able to take in the stunning views of the Island of Crete. The endless blue of the ocean stretches out on one side, while traditional Greek architecture lines the other.

As they drive, the salty breeze from the ocean caresses her face, carrying with it the intoxicating scents of flowers and spices. The car stays near the coast, and before long they arrive at a luxurious villa perched on a cliff overlooking the sea. Her mouth falls open in awe as we pull through the opened gates and up to the front door. The sun is beginning to set behind the grand stone villa as she steps out of the car and retrieves her bag from the trunk.

But her amazement is cut short when Anna comes barreling out of the house, followed closely by her fiancé Tim and his sister Lucy. "Lissy!" she beams, using the nickname that Calista despises more than anything else in this world. "I'm so glad you made it!"

"I wouldn't miss your wedding for anything, Anna banana," Calista smiles back, using Anna's equally annoying nickname. She winces but pretends to ignore it, turning to introduce Calista to Tim and Lucy.

"Of course, I remember Tim," Calista says with a warm smile, shaking his hand. "And it's nice to meet you, Lucy. I'm Calista, but you can call me Callie." Her confidence falters when Lucy bypasses her hand and pulls her into an awkward hug. Her thin frame and long blonde hair make Calista feel self-conscious in comparison.

"I hope you're not too upset about me being the Maid of Honor," Lucy says with a grin, stepping back and looking her up and down. "But I did introduce them, after all."

Calista forces another smile and step away, relieved when Anna takes her arm and leads her inside. Anna shows her to her room on the second floor, in the back of the house. "Tim's best man will be in the room next door," Anna informs her as they walk. "He should be arriving soon."

Calista nods absentmindedly, still taking in the incredible view from her balcony. The doors are open, allowing the gentle breeze to rustle the sheer white curtains. She drops her bags onto the bed and approaches the railing, her eyes widening in awe at the breathtaking scenery before her.

"I know, right?" Anna says with a small sigh, joining her friend on the balcony. After a few minutes of admiring the view together, Anna turns to her and places a hand on her arm. "Listen, I hope you don't mind that I chose Lucy as the Maid of Honor. She practically begged me. And we're going to be family now, an—"

"It's fine," Calista shrugs, trying not to let her disappointment show. Despite her hurt feelings, Calista refuses to let anything ruin this magical experience.

"Great! Dinner is in half an hour. I'll leave you to freshen up." Anna says sweetly, pulling her into another hug before leaving her alone in the room.

"Wow," She whispers to herself as she takes one last look at the breathtaking view from the balcony. Turning towards the bathroom, she can't help but feel grateful and excited for what this week has in store.