Chapter 14: Mary

Five figures clad in rich fabrics descend from the podium and march past us. The one called Nya makes a point to stare, though I can't reciprocate because of her veil. A creepy sensation travels up my spine.

"She's toying with you," says a voice out of nowhere.

I look for who said it, but there was no one, except Loren and Kota who were quiet.

As soon as the council leaves, a switch flips in the crowded auditorium and the volume explodes with chatter.

"Birdy?" Loren shouts. "Do you want to get some air?"

"Oh I get a choice?"

She looks surprised and replies, "Of course you get a choice!"

"Really?" My voice starts calm, but becomes a shout. "Did I have a choice when you drugged me? Did I have a choice when you undressed me and locked me in a dungeon? SCREW YOU!"

A few people in the crowd notice our fight and quiet to listen.

"Girls, can we do this elsewhere? We're drawing unwanted attention." Kota says in a hushed tone.

"NO! Screw you too!" All the pain, confusion, and fear from the last day hits and I can't stop shouting now.

"Leave me alone! Both of you! I'm going to find the police and report you! I know your names!" I back away and run.

"I'm not chasing her again!" Kota groans.

"We're not chasing..." Loren begins, but I don't hear the rest. I dash across the room. Crowds loiter around the exits.

"Outta my way! Move!" I say getting through, but I'm painfully slowed down.

Finally, I burst through large oak doors where sunlight blinds me for a second. Flashbacks of bright sun and hot sand make me hesitate. I stumble forward then slowly descend some stairs underneath a large archway. Somewhat forgetting my intent, I walk forward, enamored, by my new surroundings.

Symmetrical stone arches enclose a grand courtyard, abundant with people who previously occupied seats inside. Some men and women lounged about in luscious green grass. Others gather around fire pits which boast scents of peppered meats, savory vegetables and hot breads. My mouth waters; Simultaneously my stomach lurches. I trudge on, somewhat distracted by the picturesque scene, following a cobblestone path.

Meandering between lush flower beds, I end up in the center of the courtyard. At the heart of the garden is a shallow pond with a stone bench and a fountain in the middle. The fountain thrums with activity, spraying a light mist on the occasional passerby. Cautiously, I walk closer, a new plan formulating.

People start turning away from their conversations and begin whispering as I approach. Some look concerned, some look excited, like they're waiting to see something cool. Two girls looking about my age wear white frocks with green headbands. They don't notice me draw near as they're chatting animatedly.

"Excuse me?"

They stop talking. One of the girls crinkles her nose and looks at the other. They both giggle.

"Sorry to bother you..." I say awkwardly. "Does one of you have a phone I could borrow?"

They blink at me with an air of annoyance, then without a second thought, ignore me.

"Or not." 

As I say it, one of them glares. Then there's a CRACK , followed by another loudCRACK. The girls in front of me vanish and are swiftly replaced by two fully grown female deer. I stand mystified, staring down the wet snout of a doe.