Chapter Twenty Two

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

ROSEPAW | WINDCLAN CAMP

Rosepaw stared numbly at her paws. She had solved it. She had cracked Drizzlefur's secret accidentally.

Was he related to Drizzlefur, though? This question nagged her endlessly. Drizzlefur wouldn't have given her that kin-related scenario for no reason. Drizzlefur was hinting a cat she loved killed her.

It's not safe to assume yes or no. Sootripple could've been her uncle. He could've been a cousin.

Will Twistedbird and Darkblossom possibly know? Rosepaw stared in the direction of the elders den. They were currently at the emergency Gathering, which Rosepaw had not partaken in. She didn't feel like it. Rowanmask had gone, though, so she was basically alone at camp, save for Goldclaw, Tulipfoot, the three new apprentices, and Sunkit.

Tulipfoot was almost ready to kit. She had been complaining more and more every day about stomach pains, always saying how she felt the kits kicking nonstop.

I can tell she's super excited though. Rosepaw thought, then shook her head. Don't get sidetracked, Rosepaw!

She absentmindedly walked to the fresh-kill pile, choosing a rabbit. She chewed on it by the medicine cat den.

Did I figure out who killed you, Drizzlefur? Something inside of me tells me... I didn't. Rosepaw glared at the sky. Why was this so complicated?

Something inside of her shifted. Her mind raced back to the day she was out collecting honey with Duskface.

I was so blind then! Rosepaw leapt to her paws, heart racing. The more she thought about that day, the more she felt StarClan telling her something. But that doesn't make much sense...

Suddenly, a pained shriek abruptly sliced through Rosepaw's thoughts. Rosepaw didn't take a split second to wonder where it came from; her paws led her to the nursery, where Tulipfoot was thrashing in pain. Goldclaw was in there, huddling around Sunkit, eyes frantically landing on Rosepaw, then Tulipfoot, then back.

I've never kitted before! Panic rose inside of Rosepaw.

"Comfort her." Rosepaw ordered Goldclaw.

When Rosepaw backed out of the den, she was startled to find Cloudpaw, Lightningpaw, and Rainpaw standing there.

"What's happening?" Lightningpaw whimpered.

"Tulipfoot's kitting." Rosepaw replied quickly, trotting to the medicine cat den.

"What can we do to help?" Rainpaw asked. "I don't want Tulipfoot to be in pain."

Rosepaw's mind raced. "I-I want you, Rainpaw, to go collect three strong branches. I want no weak, thin branches, understand?" Rainpaw nodded her head vigorously. "Go, now!"

Rainpaw raced out. Her brothers nearly did, but Rosepaw snapped at them.

"I want you two to go to the Gathering island and retrieve Rowanmask, okay?"

"Where is that?" Cloudpaw tilted his head.

Rosepaw's mouth ran dry. She didn't have time to go get Rowanmask herself. "Didn't your mentors tour the territory? Didn't you two go to the Gathering?"

"Well, yeah, but we both don't have good memory-"

"Go to the lake and walk - no, run - along the shore. The log should be visible when running along the shore. Do not stop to hunt or rest."

The two toms nodded, sprinting out of camp. Rosepaw took no time to think about specific herbs from the medicine cat den, so she grabbed random herbs. She ran back to the nursery, finding Goldclaw soothingly murmuring words of encouragement to Tulipfoot.

"If you ever feel the kits pushing, you have to push." Goldclaw meowed gently. "Push as hard as you can."

Rosepaw frowned; how did Goldclaw know? She didn't waste any time to ponder though. Rosepaw ran her paw over Tulipfoot's stomach. This is what Rowanmask told her to do, but what was the point? She just felt bumps, presumably the kits.

"You're doing great." Rosepaw meowed encouragingly. She looked at the herbs she had grabbed at random and nearly wanted to give up. She didn't grab anything to ease the pain.

Where's Rainpaw with those branches? I should've told her to just grab one... Rosepaw grinded her teeth.

Suddenly, she felt a ripple under her paw.

"Push, Tulipfoot, push!" Rosepaw ordered.

Tulipfoot groaned, pushing. Rosepaw was revolted by how much blood there was. A kit slid out into the blood. Rosepaw didn't need to tell Goldclaw what to do; the warrior grabbed the kit, warming it up.

"One down." Rosepaw meowed breathlessly.

"How many... more?" Goldclaw asked between licks.

"How am I supposed to know?" Rosepaw tried to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

Goldclaw frowned. "You don't know?"

"No! I have no clue what I'm doing right now!" Rosepaw raised her voice.

"You're going to kill her..." whispered Goldclaw, anger edging her fearful tone.

Tulipfoot had heard what Goldclaw had said and cried out. "Where's Rowanmask?"

"Not here." Rosepaw hissed, overwhelmed. "Just focus on kitting, Tulipfoot."

Tulipfoot whimpered, beginning to convulse.

"Push!" Rosepaw commanded, watching another kit slide out. Goldclaw took that one as well. "She still has more to go."

Goldclaw didn't reply to her, but looked past her. "Oh thank StarClan! Rowanmask is here."

Rosepaw turned around, finding Rowanmask sprinting in, jaws clamping a bundle of herbs. She side-stepped away from Tulipfoot, anxious.

"I'm here, Tulipfoot." Rowanmask meowed comfortingly.

"It hurts, Rowanmask, it hurts." Tulipfoot groaned, eyes closed.

Rowanmask ran his paw over her belly. "Two more kits, then it's over with."

Tulipfoot didn't respond, grunting with effort to push.

"Rosepaw," Rowanmask looked directly at his apprentice, tone desperate, "fetch her a stick."

"I sent Rainpaw to get one." Rosepaw meowed, wanting to stay.

Rowanmask looked back at Tulipfoot. "You sent an apprentice out with no experience to find a stick? Sootripple is still a threat, Rosepaw." Rowanmask meowed slowly.

Rosepaw's blood ran cold. She dashed out of the nursery and camp immediately. She could practically feel Rainpaw's blood seeping onto the ground before she saw the silver apprentice, eyes glazed over. A cat crouched behind her body, meeting Rosepaw's defiant gaze.

---

-artemis

Warriors: Shadows in the Light - Veiled StarsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara