~Chapter 8: Scales form an odd story~

Willow and Croc turn, and Reef, Stella, and Kimber look up at Marigolds shout.

"What'd you find?" Asks Croc as Marigold leads them to the rocks.

Marigold points at the rocks and explains, "Claw marks and scales. I don't recognize them, but do one of you?"

"I don't." says Croc.

Willow peers at them closely, "Black scales, it looks like. And I think that one's a bit yellow. It looks almost like they came out in a fight. Or a meeting that got out of hand."

"Black..." Marigold says slowly. "Like the person who kidnapped us?"

"Could it be the saboteur, I wonder?" Mused Willow.

"Maybe between two NightWings, or a NightWing and a HiveWing." Croc says, now that the colors were identified. "You never really know. It could have been anyone that kidnapped us. You said yourself that it was dark and difficult to make them out."

"True, but I swear the kidnapper was black." Willow said.

"A NightWing makes sense," Said Marigold. "But a HiveWing? Odd."

"It's definitely yellow." Willow says, poking it.

"I wonder who? Most of the HiveWings I know are pretty nice." Wonders Marigold.

"What about Hornet? She pretty mean." Croc puts in. "She's a tattle tale and she plays teachers pet to Sundew so she can bully us."

"Maybe..." says Marigold thoughtfully.

"Wait, when was the last time we saw Hornet? She wasn't in our cross winglet class." Says Croc.

Honey walks over and hears what they're talking about.

"Hi Honey!" Willow and Croc say.

Marigold hugs Honey. "Hi!"

"Hi guys. You're talking about Hornet?" She says, "She was watching us as we left Pantala."

"No, I could swear she wasn't. We were kinda escaping on the run and no one really knew." Willow says.

"But I swear she was!" Honey insisted.

Stella walks up and joins them.

"It might be my fault she knew we were leaving..." she says sheepishly. "I told my winglet I was leaving. I bet Dragonfly told Swallowtail. And Swallowtail probably blabbed to the entire Sapphire Winglet because she can't keep her mouth shut!"

"It's ok Stella, you can't control other people's mouths." Marigold reassures her.

"You know, now that there's evil things happening, it strikes me that we don't truly know what happened to Wasp." Willow says. "She escaped from the former flamesilk cavern and no one's seen her since."

"Yeah..." said Croc. "But we should get going. Phyrria won't bring itself to us!"

"Good idea. We've intruded upon the Middle Island long enough." Willow agrees.

"Reef! Stella! Honey! Kimber! Let's go!" Croc yells.

The corresponding dragons except Kimber all look up and gather their things, including Stella and Honey, who had both walked away during the Queen Wasp conversation.