Part I : Chapter IV

Start from the beginning

   “Sure.” I replied as I followed after her.

     My eyes wandered around her room in awe. It was painted a sky blue, pictures of space and galaxies decorated one wall, book shelves filled with books lined up against another wall, and there were two big windows right across the wall where her bed remained. Her bed comforter was light purple decorated with matching pillows and stuffed animals. “Your room is beautiful.” I told her.

      “Thank you.” She replied, sitting down on her bed and motioning for me to do the same. “Want to see something cool?”

      I nodded.

   She hopped off of her bed, ran to the curtains to shut them, blocking the light from entering. Turning off her room light, she pointed up to her ceiling. My jaw dropped, a bit in wonder. There were what seemed to be stickers of stars, galaxies, planets, and asteroids stuck to the ceiling, each glowed a bright neon green color. "How wonderful," I murmured.

   "My mother bought them for me a few days ago. They are much better than the night light I used to use."

    "It must be lovely to gaze up at these all night."

    Jane nodded. "I haven't had any bad dreams since I got them. I can give you a few, if you want. I have some more in a bag."

   "If it’s not too much of a bother," I agreed, a bit surprised that she was being so nice to me. Maybe, just maybe, I was going to make my first friend.

   "Of course not!" She exclaimed. She then sat on her bed again, motioning for me to do the same. This time I did, and she asked me about my well-being. I answered her and we both began to talk about many things; from our favorite color to the things we enjoy the most. It was nice to finally sit down and talk to someone close to my age. These weeks I've been surrounded by adults, and to finally get to know Jane, another kid, was a bit relieving and reviving to me. I actually felt my age around her.

   "Thank you." I suddenly said.

   "For what?"

"For being kind, for being my friend...you’re the only one I have." I replied, sheepishly.

   Jane's eyebrows furrowed. "Don't you talk to other kids?" I nodded my head no. "Do you go to school?" Again, I nodded my head no. School. A touchy subject between Erik and Fury since my first attempt. Fury said it'd be too risky to send me to school so soon after that incident. He, too, thinks I had something to do with all the lights going off. He had advised Erik to wait until I was fully adjusted to my new life. I had no problem and understood them, but a part of me yearned to be with people my age and to learn now, not later on. I promised I would be good, but Fury wasn’t so sure to trust me yet.

  "You should. It's hard and tiring, but fun sometimes."

   Before I could reply, there was a knock at the door. Jane hopped off her bed and went to go open the door to reveal her mother on the other side. "Go hurry and wash your hands! Dinner is ready." Her mother said, addressing both of us. Jane and I nodded, and right when she left, we obeyed her orders.