Chapter SEVEN- Like

I woke as soon as my body was moved, my bleary eyes blinking open.

I glanced around, settling back down at the smell of freshly cut wood and the sight of Sten when I looked up.

He was carrying me out of the dining room, to my room I assumed.

I heard the clank and clatter of dishes, the sound of running water, steam in the air.

I glanced around, seeing some of the werewolves doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen, none of them the chefs, guess everyone did their part here, I wondered what my job would be.

Sten carried me up the stairs and along the corridor, nudging my door open with an elbow. He set me down on my bed and I shifted into my cat form, slipping out of the human clothes and walking in circles on my blanket, laying down with a yawn.

I always slept in cat form but my parents brought me pyjamas anyway, which I never used. I don't know why I slept in cat form, aside from the impromptu nap I always felt much more comfortable in my fluffy counterpart, whether I felt safer in that form or something I wasn't sure, it was a habit that wasn't going to change though, cats were creatures of habit after all.

I allowed the gentle hand to stroke down my back, thankful that Sten had been so understanding an accommodating of my nature and need for even something somewhat familiar in this alien place.

His presence calmed me and I felt I could lower my guard a little around him, I was almost sure he wasn't after my blanket as well, which eased my nerves further.

I purred and glanced up at him, allowing a second stroke, the careful petting not unpleasant, but I could only tolerate so much touching.

He stopped after the second though, understanding not to take liberties or expect too much of my tolerance for such a trusting act.

"Goodnight Pepper." he murmured, turning to go.

I meowed softly in reply.

Goodnight Sten.

...

I woke up early as usual, the sun just turning the sky orange. I thoroughly groomed myself, contently purring whilst I did my usual morning ritual.

I was currently cleaning my front paw, but paused midlick due to the door opening, by now the sun had fully risen in the sky, it's light streaming through the parted curtains.

I was a little surprised although not completely at seeing Dom standing in the doorway, his dark hair ruffled and sleep glazed eyes suggesting that he'd just woken up. He wore dark, worn jeans and a red shirt, the same boots on his feet from yesterday.

I watched him carefully, my eyes staring at his form in what I now considered my personal space. I put my tongue away and sat up on my blanket, tail swishing from slight nerves behind me.

He looked almost disappointed that I was in my cat form, which made me want to stay in it even more.

He leaned against the doorframe and watched me back, not staring into my eyes but just looking in my direction, it was a little unnerving I'll admit. "Bronn spoke to me last night." he finally said something, his face showing slight annoyance but also regret. "Anyone else you bitched about me to?" he huffed, his voice taking on a slight growl to show his displeasure.